Thursday, November 18, 2010

COCONUT ALMOND GRANOLA with FOUR FRUITS

I know I'm dating myself here, but to the younger generation, let me tell you that Kate Hudson has a mom named Goldie Hawn. Back in the day she made some very funny movies, among them a break-out film called "Private Benjamin." I'll never forget when she joined the army how surprised she was that it was not at ALL as depicted in the commercials: no condos, no great meals, no beach vacations. Nope, just marching around in the rain, during which time she recited a rather funny monologue about what she wanted to do and how she was a "nice person" and shouldn't have to endure such torture. To illustrate her remark she said she never "went to anyone's house empty-handed."


Well, I'm pretty much the same. We're going to dinner tonight and, like Private Benjamin, I never go any place empty-handed, so thought I'd make up some Coconut Almond Granola and take a large jar to the hostess, and two smaller bags to the other couples who will be in attendance. It is so delicious that you can pretty much skip the bananas, milk, yogurt, and spoon, and just dig in!

This is my own personal recipe, a mishmash of a variety of others I've run across over the years. I've found you can pretty much toss in what you like according to what happens to be in your pantry at the time.



COCONUT ALMOND GRANOLA with FOUR FRUITS
(Printable Recipe)

4 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup whole almonds, halved
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup sunflower, pumpkin, or flax seeds to your own taste
2/3 cup (packed) brown sugar or less to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter
4 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup (packed) pitted dates, each cut crosswise into thirds
1/2 cup dried apricots, cut in quarters
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries, blueberries or cherries


Preheat oven to 300°F. Mix first 8 ingredients in large bowl. Melt butter with honey in heavy small saucepan over low heat. Pour over granola mixture and toss well. Spread out mixture on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add dried fruits; mix to separate any clumps. Continue to bake until granola is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes longer. Cool. Do ahead Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.




This post is linked to Foodie Friday.

15 comments:

The Church Cook said...

Love Private Benjamin! And I love giving hands and hearts to share homemade goodies! Great looking recipe!

Beth said...

Pattie, That sound so good! Nice food photography, too.
Blessings, Beth

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Great granola! Pvt Benjamin would be proud of you.

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to try making some homemade granola...thanks for sharing this recipe!

bakedinmaine.com said...

Hi Pattie!

Your recipes and posts are gorgeous!!!

I just fanned your blog on facebook, google and twitter!

Cheers!
Lisa

Unknown said...

Hahaha I LOVE Private Benjamin. This looks delicious, and I love the presentation. I think hand-made gifts are so lovely.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hi Pattie!

What a great blog you have ~ I have perused many of your posts and enjoyed each one!

I am so happy you stopped by my place and left your comment so I could come by and meet you :)

Kindly, ldh

Kathleen said...

This looks delish! I'd love to receive a pretty bag of this granola.

Treat and Trick said...

What a great gift! this is really healthy and yummy, all in one serving...

http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

I bet I know what your friends had for breakfast the day after the dinner ;o) Sounds wonderful! We also make our own granola, and to think at one time I would buy granola in the box. We live and learn!

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

I love coconut and granola! This looks so scrumptious and pretty. Thanks for the recipe!

Country Gal said...

Not showing up empty-handed is a great way to live life! I bet your friends are always glad to see you! :)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Your granola recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing it with us.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a great movie. You made me smile thinking about it. I love making my own granola and this recipe sounds delicious!

Rachel said...

I can't wait to try this recipe! It looks fabulous. And I love what you said about the movie and your thoughts on being a guest. We (the world) need more of that! Thanks so much for sharing!