Thursday, December 9, 2010

FOODIE FRIDAY: Bacon Mushroom Caps


These are wonderful appetizers, easy to make and delicious. I have served them both at  brunches and cocktail parties with equal success, and I always get requests for the recipe. Recipients are continually surprised by one of the ingredients - corn chips!

BACON MUSHROOM CAPS
(Printable Recipe)

40 medium mushrooms
1/2 pound bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup finely crushed corn chips (I use Fritos)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon dry red wine

Remove stems from cleaned mushrooms; chop stems. Combine stems with remaining ingredients. Fill mushroom caps. Place an inch apart on baking sheets and broil 5 to 7 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly. Serve hot.


Crush corn chips very fine.  I used an ice cream scoop.

The recipe calls for Monterrey Jack, but I used Fontina.
Cook bacon until well done and crispy, then chop with a knife.
Stir ingredients together well.  I cubed the butter in order to allow it to more quickly incorporate.
Rolling the filling into loose ball shapes makes it easy to fill each cap.
Hot from the broiler.

This is linked to Foodie Friday and Tuesdays at the Table.

FOODIE FRIDAY Click for details

Lovely Yellow Ribbons

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

How did you know I have been craving those?!!! Your images are just mouthwatering. I love these and will have to make some. I was watching the Food Network here today while someone was making mushroom appetizers and I was just salivating! Nummy.

Roberta said...

These look and sound so yummy and can't wait to try them for Christmas with my family. I'll bet the fritos is what makes them...but them I'm a girl who likes fritos and chocolate ice cream ;)
Happy Foodie Friday!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Boy, these sound delicious. I think stuffed mushrooms are a perfect appetizer on many levels. They are easy to make and serve and almost everyone loves them. Yours look wonderful and demand to be tried. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Sue said...

Can you hear me purring? I love stuffed mushrooms of any kind and this filling is different than any I've made. I'm saving this one!

Thanks for visiting me today!

Sue