It took me an entire year to make this dish. That, my friends, is dedication. Was it worth it? Yes, it was.
I’m a big fan of chile rellenos, but making them the traditional Mexican way is a LOT of work. There are peppers to roast and peel, batter to make, and then there’s the whole business of frying them.
Delicious? Absolutely. A project? Also absolutely.
So when I came across a chile rellenos casserole on Allrecipes, I knew I wanted to give it a try. Naturally, I made a few changes to suit my tastes, especially after reading through the reviews.
There was just one little problem: I couldn’t find fresh poblano peppers anywhere. I couldn’t find them canned, either. So I did what any slightly obsessed food blogger would do. I grew my own. I planted poblano pepper seeds and waited. And waited. And waited. Eventually, just last week, I harvested enough peppers to make this casserole. I roasted and peeled them, and finally, one year after deciding I needed this recipe, I got to make it. That, my friends, is foodie love.
And here’s the funny thing: once you have the peppers, there’s practically nothing to this casserole. If you use canned peppers, it comes together in minutes.
I made this on a Monday, which made it perfect for Meatless Monday, but I think it would be equally wonderful for brunch, lunch, or as a side dish for dinner.
I’ll admit that when you pull it out of the oven, it isn’t going to win any beauty contests. You may even look at it and wonder why you bothered. Then you take a bite. Oh, my. I could not believe how good this was. The roasted poblanos, two kinds of cheese, creamy egg custard, and green enchilada sauce come together into something far more delicious than its humble appearance would suggest.
And yes, my homegrown poblanos were spectacular. There’s something especially satisfying about growing an ingredient yourself, harvesting it, cooking it, and then sitting down to eat the finished dish.
But don’t let the lack of homegrown peppers stop you. Canned whole poblano peppers work beautifully, and canned whole green chiles are a good substitute. If you like things spicy, you can even use canned green jalapeños, just adjust the amount to your taste.
So no, you don’t need to spend a year growing peppers to make this casserole. I did that part for you.
Inspired by a recipe on Allrecipes.com
2 7-oz. cans whole poblano peppers, drained (see note)
8 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
8 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 large eggs
⅔ c. whole milk
2 T. flour
1 10-oz. can green enchilada sauce
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8” x 8” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Arrange the poblano peppers from one can evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle half of the Pepper Jack and Cheddar cheeses over the peppers. Top with the remaining poblano peppers.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and flour until smooth. Pour the mixture evenly over the peppers.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Pour the green enchilada sauce evenly over the top and return the casserole to the oven. Bake for another 15 minutes.
Turn the broiler to high. Sprinkle the remaining Pepper Jack and Cheddar cheeses over the casserole and place it under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Watch it carefully so the cheese doesn’t burn.
Let the casserole rest for a few minutes before serving.
A Note About the Peppers
Canned poblano peppers can sometimes be found at Mexican markets, and occasionally at larger grocery stores, depending on where you live. You can also find them online.
If you can’t find canned poblanos, fresh roasted poblano peppers are an excellent substitute. Simply roast, peel, and remove the seeds before using them in the casserole.
Canned whole green chile peppers also work well. If you use canned green jalapeños, keep in mind that they’ll add considerably more heat, so adjust the amount according to your taste.
And if you’re lucky enough to have a garden full of poblanos?
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.



That looks terrific with the golden cheesy top!
ReplyDeleteThat is a delicious looking plate of food! I so agree with you about the growing, harvesting, and eating - nothing better. I love poblano peppers for year-round eating and Hatch chile peppers for seasonal. But poblano are so versatile and yummy! You have my mouth watering at 7am.
ReplyDeleteChile Rellenos is my go-to in Mexican restaurants. How many servings would you guess this casserole would be?
ReplyDeleteDepending upon the size of the appetite, I would say 3 to 4 servings, Kathy.
Delete