I first discovered arugula more than a decade ago while Mr. O-P and I were living in London and working at the British Library. There, no one called it arugula, it was simply rocket (or roquette, derived from its Latin name). It seemed to find its way into everything from sandwiches to salads, and before long I understood why.
This Lemon Arugula Pasta Salad was an instant favorite. In fact, I could easily have polished off the entire bowl in one sitting. The only thing that stopped me was the realization that my digestive system might have had a few opinions about that decision! Ahem. Moderation won out, although it wasn’t easy.
The bright lemon dressing, peppery arugula, salty capers, crunchy walnuts, and nutty Parmesan come together in a salad that’s cool, crisp, refreshing, and packed with flavor. It’s perfect for summer lunches, picnics, or as a light side dish alongside grilled chicken or fish.
Adapted from onthebias.nyc
8 oz. farfalle, cooked and rinsed
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 t. Dijon mustard
½ c. walnuts, finely chopped
1 T. capers, plus 1 t. caper brine
1 t. kosher salt
½ t. sugar
½ t. freshly ground black pepper
8 T. extra-virgin olive oil
⅓ c. finely grated Parmesan
3½ oz. arugula (homegrown or Melissa’s)
6 basil leaves, cut chiffonade
Cook the pasta according to package directions, allowing it to cook just past al dente. Drain and rinse thoroughly under cold water to stop the cooking process.
In a large serving bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, chopped walnuts, capers, caper brine, salt, sugar, pepper, and olive oil. Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese.
Add the cooled pasta and toss until well coated.
Fold in the arugula and basil, if using, just before serving.
Serve chilled or at cool room temperature.
1 comment:
My mouth is watering! I've always liked the old-fashioned name rocket better than arugula. :D
Post a Comment