But here’s the good news: your slow cooker can handle most of the heavy lifting. This version delivers deep, rich, caramelized onion flavor with minimal active effort, just a bit of patience and one game-changing overnight rest in the fridge.
The secret to extraordinary depth? Caramelize the onions the day before. Let them slowly transform into sweet, golden perfection in the slow cooker, then refrigerate overnight. That extra chill time works magic, melding flavors in a way that makes the final soup taste like it simmered for days. The next day, simply add the remaining ingredients and let the slow cooker finish the job.
Traditionally, French onion soup is served with a toasted slice of baguette floating on top beneath a blanket of melted Gruyère cheese. This recipe, however, is so wonderfully onion-rich that I’ve found you can skip the bread entirely if you’d like. Simply top the soup with the cheese mixture, broil until golden and bubbly, and you’ll still enjoy every bit of that classic French onion soup experience while saving a few calories.
Whether you serve it as a cozy weeknight dinner or as the first course for a special gathering, this soup is well worth the wait.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
For the Soup
4 T. butter
3 lbs. Melissa’s yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 Melissa’s red onion, thinly sliced
1 T. sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. smoked paprika
½ t. freshly ground black pepper
Salt, to taste
½ c. dry sherry
½ c. dry red wine
8 c. beef broth
1 t. sea salt, or to taste
¼ t. dried thyme
1 bay leaf
½ c. flour
Water, enough to make a smooth slurry
½ c. heavy cream
For the Topping
8 slices French baguette
1 c. shredded Gruyère cheese
⅓ c. shredded Emmental cheese
¼ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
Caramelize the Onions
Set a 6-quart slow cooker to Low. Place the butter in the bottom of the slow cooker and allow it to melt while you slice the onions. (A mandoline makes quick work of this.)
Add the onions and garlic to the melted butter. Sprinkle with the Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, steak seasoning, pepper, and sugar. Stir once to combine.
Cover and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours. Stir occasionally if you happen to be nearby, but it's not essential.
During the final two hours, remove the lid to allow excess moisture to evaporate and help the onions deepen in color.
At this point, the caramelized onions can be refrigerated overnight.
Finish the Soup
Pour the sherry, red wine, and beef broth over the onions. Stir in the sea salt, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or High for 4 to 6 hours.
During the last hour of cooking, whisk the flour with enough water to make a smooth slurry. Stir it into the soup to lightly thicken the broth.
When the soup is finished cooking, stir in the heavy cream and heat through.
Assemble
Preheat the broiler and position an oven rack about 8 inches from the heat source.
Toast the baguette slices under the broiler until lightly browned on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Combine the Gruyère, Emmental, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses.
Ladle the soup into oven-safe crocks, filling each about three-quarters full. Float a toasted baguette slice on top, if desired, and generously cover with the cheese mixture.
Broil until the cheese is melted, bubbling, and lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Serve immediately.
NOTES
If you’re serving this soup to company, consider creating a “French onion soup bar.” Set out bowls of hot soup, toasted baguette slices, and the cheese mixture separately so everyone can customize their own bowl. Some guests will want lots of bread, others extra cheese, and a few may skip the bread altogether. Giving everyone the choice makes serving easy and adds a fun, interactive touch to the meal.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
9 comments:
This looks absolutely marvelous!! I haven't had French Onion soup in a very long time. I'm ready for cozy fall/winter food. The weather however is still screaming summer.
What a stellar recipe!! Looks worth every minute of prep. As soon as I showed my husband the photo of yours this morning he said "Bagatelle", which was a wonderful restaurant in the building where my husband worked in the 1970s-80s. We loved their onion soup, and it probably tasted like this one. I would not only add the toasted bread but also eat bread on the side - lol!
My mouth is watering! I wonder if I could melt some cheese directly on the top of soup without the bread...love your cute soup bowl too.
YUM! I don't know if you're a long-time St. Louisian, but way back when Famous-Barr (now Macy's) was a retail store. Their restaurant served a version of French Onion Soup which was to die for!
Oh, yeah, definitely bread on the side. Every time I have had French onion soup out, it has always come served with bread. There is nothing I like more than butter slathered onto fresh slices of baguette.
Kathy, I am a long time, St. Louisan, and not only have I eaten my weight in French onion soup at Famous-Barr, but I am old enough to remember when the store had a bakery built into it where they sold baguettes, frozen containers of French onion soup, and packages of frozen shredded Gruyere. Honestly, I miss those days.
Angie, yes, you can melt cheese directly on top of the soup without the bread because I have done it. The soup bowls that I’m using are McCoy brand that I bought back in the 70s because these are the bowls that they used to use at Famous-Barr department stores where they were known for their French onion soup. In the St. Louis metro area, this soup was iconic.
Interesting and excellent recipe. I don't have a slow cooker, but I can try to prepare this delicious soup in the oven.
My husband LOVES French onion soup. This looks amazing. What a great way to make it in the slow cooker.
Post a Comment