Monday, April 11, 2011

TACO SALAD

With two days in a row of near ninety-degree heat, it would appear that the sultry salad days of summer are upon us.  I can't say I'm displeased by this. I love a good salad, the ease of assembly high up on the list.  A salad is something that can be simple or complex, sweet or savory, hearty and satisfying, or act as a light side.  Salads can be ethnic: the French Nicoise, the Greek Salad, Italian salad, or as in what I'm sharing today, Mexican Taco Salad.

For the most part I think all salads are relatively easy to make, it's really all in the decision-making process and assembly.  As in all salad cases, I use what I have on hand that is appropriate to the type of salad I'm making. I don't have a specific recipe for making Taco Salads, per se, but here is the general list of ingredients in the order of how they are layered on each individual plate.  I like to serve them on colorful Fiestaware plates atop a table covering with a Mexican theme.  What you see peaking out here is one I made from fabric by Alexander Henry called Frida's Garden.

TACO SALAD

Tortilla chips for base
Lettuces (romaine, head, butter crunch varieties)
Taco meat or chili (I prefer the latter)
Cubed avocado
Sliced black olives
Shredded Cheese
Salsa (your choice of brand and heat intensity)
Dollop of sour cream
Sliced scallions
Drizzle with ranch dressing
Crumbled Fritos give the top a bit of extra crunch and flavor, so I use these when I have them on hand.

Much of this, if not all can be prepared ahead, so these go together in no time.  Try one, and take the night off.


This is linked to Seasonal Sunday

5 comments:

scribbler said...

I love it when I have the chance to sit down and catch up with your blog. I find great food, interesting factoids, humor and wonderful dishes and tablescapes. I come away inspired every time!

Lynn said...

Your salad looks awfully yummy. And I envy your warm weather -- we're still in the 50s here in Calif.

The Church Cook said...

This is the only way I would eat my tacos, in salads! This looks great Pattie!

~~louise~~ said...

Ninety-degree heat? What's that? If we don't get some sun and heat soon, my little flower seedlings will simply perish.

I am so saving this link for National Salad Month in May, Pattie. Not only does it all look so perfectly festive, I am absolutely craving a good Taco Salad and yours sounds Fabulous!!! (I'm still healing from dental work so I should be able to eat salad by then:)

Thank you so much for sharing...

The Tablescaper said...

Yum! Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper