Sunday, June 26, 2011

Chilled Cucumber Dill Soup


For the first time in my decades of gardening experience,  I'm growing cucumbers in containers, and boy, are they thriving!  Of course it could be the tropical conditions we've been having lately, rain daily followed by 95-degree heat with an equal amount of humidity.  I have three Bush Slicer plants in this 18" container and have spotted, thus far, 22 cucumbers and equally as many flowers. I think this should be the year I learn to make pickles.


To avoid getting dry and tough cucumbers, these must be harvested when they reach 6 to 8 inches in length. This one is just short of seven, so is ready for harvest.  While pickles are definitely in my future, I'm excited at the prospect of being able to make chilled cucumber soup with my own home grown vegetables and herbs.


So refreshing on a hot day, this easy-to-make recipe from La Bonne Bouchee Restaurant is featured in one of my favorite cookbooks, Special Requests, a publication of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.


A wonderful summer cooler, it pairs well with both salads and sandwiches.  It's also perfect for picnics as it can be taken chilled in a cooler, and then poured into chilled cups for a cooling, healthy and delicious treat on a hot day.

If you have an interest in container gardening, I cannot recommend enough the following books.
Crops in PotsMcGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: Create Container Gardens of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, and Edible Flowers






18 comments:

Babs said...

This sounds so cool and delicous. Perfect for a Summer lunch.
Great photos, too.
Babs

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I can't get over you growing cucumbers in pots! They look wonderful...my hubby will love this as he adores planting in pots! The soup looks awesome my dear, wow!, I'll soon make this, I love cucumbers, I drink every morning a mixture of a piece of cucumber, 1 whole tomato, (the fruit type, we have here), half glass of water and a small stick of celery...you blend this and stir a spoon full of wheat bran! and NO CHOLESTEROL, EVER! Thank you for sharing these. Lots of hugs, FABBY

AllThingsYummy said...

From your garden to your table. That's wonderful and looks delicious.

Lynn said...

I love dill, your soup sounds great! Stop by for an easy Bread and Butter Pickle that will be ready for the 4th of July:@)

The Tablescaper said...

Your plants are spectacular and the soup sounds so cool and refreshing.It's great to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Splenderosa said...

Gorgeous cucumbers! I'm going to try this because it's so hot in Houston, with a little garden hose to keep my flowers alive maybe I could grown these too. I love cold cucumber soup, I've never added pickles, but I'll try it. So refreshing. So nice to meet you, Patti. I'm coming over from Yvonne's place. xx's

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a great idea! I have cukes in my garden, but it sure would be a whole lot easier to put them in a big pot and train them upward on a stake. Your images are gorgeous!
Thank you for giving us a yummy summer soup to add to our menus! I love soup and this one is certainly company worthy!
Thank you for participating in ON THE MENU MONDAY, I hope you will be a "regular"!
Yvonne

Vanessa Coppa said...

Cucumber soups is one of my favorites for the summer. Looking forward to trying this Dill version!

Veronica said...

I love cucumber soup and so amazing for you to grow them in containers! love the pics as well.
Thank you

Veronica
www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

Heather S-G said...

Wow, this soup looks fantastic...as do your cukes. Makes me smile =)

Miz Helen said...

We have a great cucumber harvest right now and this will be a great soup for us to try. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week!
Miz Helen

Olga Poltava said...

Hello Pattie,
I'm growing cucumbers in pots this year too. And I now spotted a few tiny ones there. Can't wait for them to grow.
The soup looks fantastic!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

The soup sounds delicious Pattie.

I've never tried cucumbers in containers. I think we should!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Definitely try growing cucumbers in containers, Pat. The plant itself is attractive enough to stand on its own, I think, with the yellow flowers and big leaves. It has been one of my greatest container successes.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I love chilled soups. So summery and delicious.
Sam

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Great recipe! I can't wait for our cucumber plants to start producing.

Kathy Walker said...

Looks amazing...chilled soups are delicious and so refreshing when it is warm.

Candy @ The Little Round Table said...

Oh my that looks so very tasty! Will be giving it a try for sure very soon.

Thanks for joining the garden party,
Candy