Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Christmas Village

One of my favorite holiday decorations is this little village by Department 56 featuring buildings and accessories from the Dickens’ Village Series®.  There is something about a little illuminated Christmas village that enchants me.  I want to peer into the windows to see what is happening inside each little house.  I try to imagine what life would have been like in Dickens’ day, and listen to the sounds of the hustle and bustle as people carrying packages pass on the streets.  My collection of houses is starting to outgrow my space, so I’ll have to find a new location for it next year.  One of my goals is to eventually figure out how to use it as the centerpiece of my holiday table.  The only problem is doing so without causing people to trip over the electrical lines, or worse, have them duct-taped to the floor with that two-inch wide silver duct tape that is always so charming.  If anyone has done this or has any ideas for me, please let me know.  Meanwhile, enjoy your visit to Dickens’ London.






This post is linked to:

6 comments:

eileeninmd said...

I love your Christmas village, very nice collection. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Mary said...

Love your Dickens' Village with all it's charming detail! I have the Snow Village series, but never used them at the table!

Congratulations on winning Nigella Christmas! Email me with your address and I'll get your copy in the mail :)

Unknown said...

Back when I used to put my village up I put them in my china cabinet. Had to use extensions cords etc. but at least it was against the wall. Also a lot of trouble to take every thing out, but since I was going to use the good china and crystal wasn't too bad. I agree about the centerpiece. My grands started to complain, so now I put a centerpiece on a tray and just lift it off when time to eat. All the Christmas blessings to you and yours. Also I have found lights with batteries are good for those types of decor.
QMM

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love villages like this! YYou have a wonderful collection.

Janet Rudolph said...

Loving this.. Used to collect village teapots.. they must still be in a box somewhere :-)

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I once had a friend that had so large a collection of these little village pieces that her husband had to build a big elaborate table to hold them all. It was beautiful though as yours are. Merry Christmas. V