Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cream of Red Bell Pepper Soup

I love a good bowl of soup, be it hot or cold, light or hearty, smooth or chunky, I can't imagine another food that is more versatile. Suitable for any season, acceptable at any meal, perfect as a starter, side dish, or (as Elaine Benes explained to Jerry Seinfeld in The Soup episode), crumble crackers in it, and soup is a meal. 

This jewel-toned offering is a tasty way to start a meal. Fans of roasted red peppers like I am, will flip for its deep roasted pepper taste, appreciate the ease of putting it together, marvel at how delicious it is both hot and cold, and find it a festive addition to the holiday table. It's a great little starter, works equally well as a lunch or addition to dinner, and is a welcome part of a cocktail party served in shooter glasses topped with a leaf or two of fresh parsley.

Cream of Red Bell Pepper Soup

1 jar Melissa's Fire Roasted Sweet Red Bell Peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic 
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
3 cups homemade chicken stock (can also use vegetable stock)
1 cup half and half
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, thyme, and basil, and sauté 3 minutes. Add broth, and the jar of roasted red peppers (no need to drain).  Simmer uncovered until heated through, about 20 minutes.

Using an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. Return to same pot. Add half and half and vinegar.  Bring to low simmer, thinning with additional broth, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls or shooter glasses. 


This post is linked to:


3 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Pattie! Hope all is well with you. I really wanted to make it here before Thanksgiving but it just didn't happen:) I do hope you had an outstanding one!!!

Your soup looks mighty fine. I forgot how much I like red bell pepper soup. I've saved this in my bookmarks so I don't forget again.

Thanks for sharing...

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

I love red peppers, so I know I would love this soup. You are right when you (and Elaine) say that soup can be a meal. I eat it for lunch all the time. And I think it elevates and dinner to a higher level, when you serve soup as a first course. Gorgeous color, too!

Lisa Boyle said...

Oh my goodness! I love peppers and I love soup. I can't wait to try this! Perfect for the cold days ahead. Thanks so much for linking it up to "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-)