Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Peace 'n Plenty's Ham and Cheddar Rolls

When I was eleven years old my parents bought a house at the lake. A three-and-a-half hour drive from our primary residence, we spent nearly every summer weekend there. Back then, there was little for a young girl to do for entertainment.  Only one strip of activity just south of Bagnell Dam existed.  It was a honky-tonk area called Dogpatch. For an eleven-year-old only child, lake life seemed isolated and lonely. I don't think I truly came to appreciate the lake until my friends turned sixteen and were able to drive down on weekends. As I grew and matured, so did the Lake area. Resorts, shops, restaurants, and outlet malls, all served to civilize the place, turning it into a weekend -- or longer -- trip that I anticipated. I grew up there, and then my two boys grew up there, both learning to swim at an early age, as well as catching their first fish, and zipping along the water in the boat. As new shops and eateries emerged, some soon became our favorites, one of which was a charming cafĂ© called Peace 'n Plenty. Open for lunch only, they served delicious soups, salads, sandwiches, and wonderful ham and cheddar rolls. Over the years they produced a number of cookbooks, and I bought them all, eager to replicate the meals that I had enjoyed during the summer. These rolls are my favorite of all of the recipes, but as they are a bit arduous to make and have a large yield I tended to overlook it.  Last week, having a taste and longing for the past, I decided to adapt it for the bread machine. Success!   Both boys showed up at the door for their share, thoroughly enjoying the delicious bite of nostalgia. 

Peace 'n Plenty's Ham and Cheddar Rolls
Adapted for the Bread Machine

1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons shortening
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 pkgs. dry yeast (3-1/2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon baking powder 
2 extra-large eggs

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 pound thinly sliced ham, diced
2/3 cup chopped scallions
1 egg, beaten

Place above ingredients into the work bowl of your bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Set machine on "dough" setting and press "start."  When machine has completed the dough making process (usually 90 minutes), remove dough to a lightly floured surface and roll into a large rectangle. 
 Spread with butter.  Sprinkle cheese evenly over the buttered surface and then top with the ham. Sprinkle scallions to cover.  Beginning at the long end, roll up as tightly as possible, pinching the seam to seal.  Slice into 1" thick pieces.


Grease well (or spray with Pam) two 6-well muffin tins and two small ramekins or custard cups.  Put one 1" piece into each well, squeezing outer edge slightly so that the middle of the roll "pops" up.
Cover lightly with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with Pam. Place in a warm spot and allow to raise until doubled in size 40-50 minutes. 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush tops of rolls with beaten egg. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and leave in pan for 5-10 minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 

21 comments:

Pondside said...

Oh my goodness but these look delicious! Next week I have company coming and I think these rolls would be perfect with soup or chili. Thanks!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh that looks so yummy that I will have to try it. I am always looking for great things for breakfast - that my favorite meal.
Thanks for sharing your recipe. I lived on Lake Erie when growing up and had such fun times too. then we could go places and not have play dates. Times have sure changes.
Have a super week.
Mary

Ingmarie We said...

The ham and cheese rolls look really delicious. Lovely photos too.

Alycia Nichols said...

Is that you in the lower left corner of that collage? How old were you then? I love looking at photos like this! I can understand how you would have felt lonely there tucked away from civilization when you were a younger child, but I can also imagine how you were able to cut loose and really enjoy it when you and your friends became of age! We used to vacation around Bagnell Dam sometimes, and it wasn't exactly a hotbed of excitement unless you were there with fun people with shared interests!

The recipe looks great! I'm not very good with yeast goods, though. I have a bread machine, so I am going to pin this and wait to see if bravery sets in. I think these would be a hit!!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a wonderful life! Both my husband's parents and mine had lake homes and it's so true, you don't appreciate it until you find other peers for socialization. Love the pics :)

I'm going to make these for my grandsons who are coming for an overnight this weekend while they parents attend a wedding! I still love my bread machine that I bought on your recommendation.

Linda said...

OK I have been procrastinating about buying a bread machine, so I guess I'll have to do these by hand, because I know we would love these - add a salad or soup and call it a meal. You have such amazing recipes and such a way with words - a great story every time I land on your blog. :)

~~louise~~ said...

What a delectable post, Pattie. It's just brimming with nostalgia and goodness. Just the way I like them.

Those recipe books sound like ones I should seek out. I adore local cookbooks and if this recipe is a sample of its contents, I surely would love it!!!

As you know, I have huge yeastaphobia. The bread machine is of no help to me. So far I've managed to botch up everything I've tried. Perhaps though, I should give this a try because, 1) I've had huge success with your recipes and 2) I've only tried box mixes in the bread machine. I may give this a whirl before I mark the bread machine, yard sale!

Thank you so much for sharing, the memories and the recipe...

Linda said...

I just ordered "your" bread machine - I am stoked. My husband said "get it and make me some bread". :)

bj said...

OMYGOSH...this looks and sounds AMAZING.
Not having a bread machine, where can I find the original recipe??
I would love to make these for my family and our home fellowship group. :))

Jacqueline said...

Oh my! We are all drooling - what fabulous rolls! I am definitely saving this one for after the wedding!!

Sheila said...

I found your blog via Pat's post about the honeysuckle!

I too have fond memories of Lake of the Ozarks. We lived in a little town north of Columbia & many of our summer weekends were spent in that area. My dad loved to fish! I remember the Dog Patch area too. That may have been where the "gravity house" was, my very first one & I thought it was the strangest thing!

I now live in Indiana. I'm thinking a trip to the Lake would be nice this summer. And I may have to look up that cafe for lunch!

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Evening Pattie, These rolls look absolutely fabulous and would be perfect with soup. I noticed some of your friends said they would be lovely for breakfast aswell.
I love the memories that went with this recipe, but can I ask what "honky tonk" means?
I do not have a breadmaker, but you never know, maybe I will make these by hand.
Best Wishes
Daphne

AG said...

Mmmm! Those look delicous! :) I've not heard of olla podrida, but I love the idea of using a stew to inspire stuffed rolls! How clever! :) I followed you here from the link party with Stone Gable. Also, I’d like to invite you to come link up with me at my link party! I’d love it if you could stop by & link up some of your recipes! Here's the link: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/tasty-tuesdays-12.html

Lynn said...

OMG! These are absolutely gorgeous and sound amazing! I'm sure your sons were thrilled:@)

thepaintedapron.com said...

these look soooooo good, you can't beat ham and cheese in my book!
Jenna

Mary said...

Love your mosaic Pattie and lake photos~ your boys were adorable! I had to stop to pin your rolls~ they looks so delicious, I'm wishing for a bread machine!

Linda said...

I am back to say this is one of the best recipes I've ever used for bread - it is delish! And I love my new bread machine. :)

That Rachel Girl said...

Omg my mom and I are sitting here taking about this cafe and how much we loved this recipe and the cinnamon tea... if you have the old recipe book they use to sell will you let me know...?!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I do have both of the cookbooks that they used to sell, Rachel. Are you looking for a particular recipe?

Jen Lil said...

Patti, I always enjoy reading your posts. I am certain we are kindred spirits. Some hot tea and something savory or sweet on a chilly day, the love of cooking and trying new recipes, showing love through the food we cook, British shows and mysteries, and the strong emotions tied to meals from the past...

I make something very similar to these, but I add finely chopped broccoli. It was one of my daughter's favorite things to find in her lunchbox!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Jen Lil, we do indeed sound like kindred spirits! The addition of broccoli here sounds like a great idea. I am a fan of broccoli, so I’m always looking for new ways in which to use it. Thanks! I’m going to give that a try.