Monday, October 28, 2013

Jamoca Almond Cream Cheese Frosting


Do you ever catch yourself saying something that you really don't want to say, but before you can stop yourself it has already come out of your mouth, and is hanging in the air, much to your chagrin? This happened to me. I chalk it up to temporary insanity. As I may have mentioned, after three and a half years on the market, our 121-year-old Victorian-style farmhouse finally sold. Now, during the last eighteen months, Mr. O.P. has been keeping the fires burning, as it were, at the old place, and I've been living it up, albeit austerely, at the new one.  I began to like it. A lot. Queen of my own castle has always been a dream of mine, a clear, clutter-free castle has been another one. Well people, all of this was dashed last week when the mister and his two hundred boxes of God-knows-what, plus his monster-size pieces of antique furniture descended upon me and, well, my house. It has been a logistical nightmare. He is Oscar to my Felix. He is hoarder to my declutterer. At the moment, living in what now looks to be a warehouse of boxes, lining the walls, startling my poor Subaru in what used to be an empty garage, filling the storage area in the basement to capacity (I pray that we don't overload a circuit because only a trained monkey would be able to reach the circuit box.), I find myself completely off my game.  So I suppose, with all of this mess it shouldn't surprise me that I found myself, mid conversation, inviting a group of people over for a party to watch Game 4 of the World Series! What was I thinking?

So, yesterday after stumbling out of bed, drinking way too much coffee, and carelessly brushing my teeth (I do think I managed to get every other one), I found myself in the kitchen, playing Beat the Clock, madly whipping up dishes to suit every palate. What I failed to consider was, umm, dessert. Between innings I remembered a box of Ghiradelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix hiding in the pantry.  I stirred the ingredients together and popped it into the oven. Then I reminded myself that I have long wanted to come up with a chocolate version of cream cheese frosting. Half loopy with fatigue, and remembering (why, at this moment, I do not know) that my favorite Baskin Robbins ice cream flavor used to be Jamoca Almond Fudge (do they still sell that?) I created this one. Chocolate, almond, espresso powder, and cream cheese. All of my favorite flavors rolled into one. I'm glad I made extra because I have a midnight date with a bowl and a spoon. 

Give it a try and see what you think. You can pump up the almond or espresso powder, to suit your tastes, or eliminate one or the other, or both. The chocolate and cream cheese alone carry this delicious, easy-to-spread frosting that turned my simple brownies into something special. 

Jamoca Almond Cream Cheese Frosting



4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
½ teaspoon espresso powder
¼ teaspoon almond flavoring
½ cup cocoa (Hershey’s Special Dark recommended)
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk

In a large metal mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, almond flavoring, and espresso powder until thoroughly blended.  Blend in cocoa powder.  Sift confectioners’’ sugar over cream cheese mixture, add milk, and beat until combined.  Spread over brownies (or cake).  This recipe should thickly cover a 9 x 9 pan of brownies, or thinly cover a 9 x 13 pan.

9 comments:

Tea in Texas said...

Coffee certainly helps when we need a boost. Your inspiration for these brownies is so creative! The photo is very tempting and to bad we can' t reach in and take a bite! Chocolate and the added almond plus cream cheese makes it yummy!

Pam

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, this looks and sounds so delicious. Thanks tons for the recipe. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will be live today at 2:30 PT. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I wondered where you were!

I had to laugh because we have been clearing my MIL's house who never threw anything away. She and your husband and I are three peas in a pod. BUT I am leaning more in your direction.

Girl, this dessert sounds divine. I need to try it. I need some cheering up, and his would do the trick!

Glad you are back and hope the sorting doesn't take too long. Estate sale???

xo

Sheila

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Wow they look terrific and I know that they are to die for. Hope you had a great World Series party and I know the brownies were a hit.
So glad that you sold your home, but now putting all that stuff away - what a job. Hopefully Mr. will throw away a lot of stuff.
Have a terrific week and count to 10.
Mary

Unknown said...

Jamoca Almond Fudge! Yes! The best flavor going. I rarely allow myself to get any (I really don't want to know what icky ingredients may be in it), but when I do, I have a good time.

Mary said...

Pattie, Your commentary is as tasty as your desserts :) I remember Jamoca Almond Fudge but have no idea if it's still around~ love the combo of flavors in your frosting and yay for the convenience of Ghiradelli Brownies!

~~louise~~ said...

Okay, so it is almost 1AM, I've had a very crazy day and lo and behold I can honestly say I am Queen of the Castle tonight. Pattie I do understand:) (marion of course has a way of piling unwanted things in the living room but that's different, right?)

I can't think of a better way to calm those jitters and say to heck with the company if they don't admit to loving every single bite! I know I sure would, right NOW!

Thanks for sharing, Pattie. Good luck:)

Lisa Boyle said...

Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/11/try-new-recipe-tuesday-november-5.html Also, on the post, it mentions that I was nominated in 2 categories (including recipes!) in the homeschool mom blog awards. I would really appreciate your support.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Oh my, these sound DELISH! I can SO sympathise with you, we moved into this new house 13 months ago and also had a mountain of boxes to go through and unpack. Luckily, I had EVERY box labeled as to what was in it and where it went. After we moved in we went to Lowes:(we should have bought stock in the company first), and bought and put together about 15-20 large, strong shelving units for the basement. What a Godsend!!!!!!!!! Now everythingis organized and accessable down ther. It was a daughting task but we did it and are living pretty clutter free now!!!! PS, our old house still isn't sold either:(:(:( I can not imagine going through 3 plus years. God bless you!