Thursday, October 16, 2014

Murphy’s in a Clogher Valley Mist

I tend, as I imagine do most of you, to read seasonal cookbooks during the particular season that they reflect.  After all, it makes perfect sense.  Unfortunately, in doing so, I end up bypassing a lot of really good recipes because, during the season, I am usually too busy to make them.

While one of my favorite cookbooks, The New Irish Table by Irish-American culinary journalist Margaret M. Johnson, is not exactly seasonal, I tend to pull it out only during the month of March to find something appropriate for St. Patrick’s Day.  It features my kind of Irish food, namely that from pubs and bed-and-breakfasts (my favorite places to dine while traveling in Ireland), and certainly puts to rest the idea that all Irish food is bland and tasteless.  In looking for a potato recipe to accompany tonight’s dinner, I chose this one.  It was quick and easy to assemble, the not-too-fond-of-potatoes, Mr. O-P loved it, and how could I not be completely charmed by the name?

To serve, I baked it in a baking pan, as directed in the recipe, and then scooped it into warmed mini casserole dishes.

Murphy’s in a Clogher Valley Mist
Named for the Dungannon Valley where Grange Lodge, a small Georgian country house, is situated.  This recipe is from proprietor Norah Brown.

1-1/2 pounds boiling potatoes, unpeeled (I used Melissa’s Baby Ruby Gold)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 slices bacon
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup (4 ounces) Smoked Gouda, shredded
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400°F.  Butter a 1-1/2 qt. baking pan.

Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for 15 to 18 minutes, or until tender.  Drain and let cool to the touch.  Cut each potato into four wedges.  Place the wedges, skin side down, into the prepared baking pan and toss with the butter.

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp.  Using a slotted metal spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain.

Pour the cream over the potatoes, sprinkle with the grated cheese, and crumble the bacon over all.  Season with salt and pepper, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cream has thickened and the cheese has melted. 

Serves 4.


7 comments:

Marigene said...

Anything with smoked Gouda has to be good! Just looking at those potatoes is making me hungry.

Linda said...

Love the name! With all those wonderful ingredients it must taste wonderful. Found you at Fridays Unfolded. Happy Weekend. Linda @ bushelandapickle.com

Alycia Nichols said...

Aw, man....this would have been perfect for tonight's dinner!!! I ended up just doing roasted potatoes with rosemary, garlic & parsley, but this would have really done the table proud!

I know what you mean about pulling out certain cookbooks only "in the season." I need to stop doing that, too. There are so many recipes in my Southern Living Christmas cookbooks that I could be enjoying year round.

I hope your weekend was a good one!!! I need to go check out your pecan recipe!

Miz Helen said...

This dish looks fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome post with Full Plate Thursday and have a great day.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Kathy said...

Love this recipe - I'll have to check out the cookbook! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

This dish looks like Irish heaven on a plate! I'll need to check out this cookbook, Pattie. I'm visiting from Foodie Friday.

Lulu said...

I'm told anything is better with bacon, and I'm sure that is true of this dish, a perfect comfort food for this time of year.