Friday, February 20, 2015

Snowy Day Cookies



On Wednesday I shared my Snowy Day table setting, an easy switchover from the simple Valentine's Day setting of a couple of days prior. On that table sat a plate of aptly named Snowy Day Cookies.  Some of you may have recognized them as a popular holiday cookie that goes by various names from Snowballs to Pecan Balls to Mexican Wedding Cakes and/or Mexican Wedding Cookies. Others of you may have said to yourselves, Is she thawing out some old cookies from Christmas?  Even the notion!  No. They were fresh, and with a fresh spin. This is a cookie that I love. This is a cookie that should be enjoyed year round. This is a cookie that, because of its simplicity, can be tweaked a bit to give it an entirely different taste. I was in a tweaking mood, so I gave mine a tiny bit of extra flavor with a pinch of espresso powder and a bit of cinnamon. They were positively addicting. That stack of cookies went down throughout the day, but no one would admit to eating any. I did see powdered sugar trails, however, and was able to easily identify the culprit. Time to make more!

Snowy Day Cookies

1 cup butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cups finely chopped pecans

Confectioners' sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Cream butter and granulated sugar. Gently mix in flour, cinnamon, espresso powder, and pecans.  Form into balls about 1" to 1-1/2" in diameter, and place on ungreased cookie sheets spacing about 2" apart.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to stand for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from cookie sheet and roll each ball in powdered sugar while still hot, and then a second time when cool.  Makes about 2 dozen.


This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Mary said...

Pattie, I love Mexican Wedding Cookies, I've even been known to devour the Danish Wedding cookie variety made by those Keebler elves when I'm not up to baking :) Love the idea of a pinch of espresso powder!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I remember my girlfriends mother making these cookies. She called the Mexican wedding cookies. I love your version with the espresso in it. Sounds delicious

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

These are my favorite cookies. I could eat 2 doz of them.
Thanks for the recipe.
Mary

candlelightsupper said...

This is another recipe I will have to try. Theses cookies look wonderful! Your photography on your blog is incredible by the way. Valerie (candlelightsupper2.blogspot.com)