Monday, November 9, 2015

Coca-Cola Meatloaf



I'm not gonna lie, there are some nights when I just do not feel like cooking, but if I don't, we still get hungry, and end up reaching for snack after nutrition-free, calorie-laden snack, because nothing satisfies like a good meal. When I saw this recipe for Coca-Cola Meatloaf with its few ingredients, I was skeptical. For me, meatloaf is often a lengthy labor of love to prepare because I like lots of flavor and a complex taste that belies the fact that I am simply eating ground beef. Already exhausted from a busy and frustrating day, with a full and, no doubt, stress-filled week ahead, I made it anyway.

What a surprise! It was good, very good. Moist and flavorful with just the right amount of seasoning; we both gobbled it up in nothing flat. I had intended to make up a mustard sauce to serve on the side, but, instead, reached for the
beef gravy that I had made last month and popped in the freezer for an occasion such as this.

What a relief to have such a quick and easy meatloaf recipe added to my repertoire. Tonight we'll have it on slices of marble rye, topped with thinly sliced red onion, and a dollop of Dijon. Two meals with minimum effort. I like that!

Coca-Cola Meatloaf

1 pound ground chuck
1 extra-large egg
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Coca-Cola
2/3 cup Italian bread crumbs, more or less

Preheat oven to 350ยบF.

Mix all ingredients together; shape into loaf and place in pan (I made mine in a small (not mini) loaf pan, 8” x 3”). Bake for 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to settle in the pan for ten minutes before slicing. I sliced mine while it was still in the pan, making inch-wide slices.

This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Lori E said...

I would have been skeptical had you not reviewed so highly. I see the soda is a minimal amount so that is good. At first glance I worried it would be a large amount.
Nothing like a good meatloaf (or meatlump, as my family calls it)to satisfy a dinnertime hunger.

Miz Helen said...

I can't wait to try this fabulous recipe! Your recipe is awesome, I have pinned it. We really enjoy you sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon!
Miz Helen