Monday, April 25, 2016

Tea Ladies’ Chicken Salad (To be eaten with a gloved hand.)



I don’t know why, but the months of April and May make me think of ladies dressed in elegant attire, strands of pearls at their neck, and wearing white gloves. I’m dating myself here, I know, but back when I was very young, my mother used to host ladies’ luncheons and teas. I would climb up on my bed, press my face against the glass in my window, and watch them arrive. I loved seeing the wave of the skirts on their dresses, hearing their heels click as they walked, seeing the flash of jewelry at their ears, and enjoyed the titter of conversation. What a lovely, civilized time! Often on the menu was one or other variety of chicken salad, so, to this day, I cannot make it without thinking of these ladies, all of whom are now, sadly, gone.

So, as we greet the warming months of spring, I’d like to honor the memory of these ladies with a chicken salad recipe that I know they would enjoy. The ladies would have loved it served with slice of freshly baked date nut tea bread, or sandwiched between same.
Tea Ladies’ Chicken Salad
(To be eaten with a gloved hand.)

1 cup finely diced rotisserie chicken 
(equal parts dark and light meats)
1/4 cup celery, finely diced
1/3 cup Duke’s mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sweet pickle juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon Melissa’s dried bing cherries, finely diced
Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours to allow flavors to meld. Serve on a bed of spring lettuce, or sandwich between thin slices of date bread.


This post is linked to:
Inspire Me Tuesday

2 comments:

Marigene said...

Those were the good old days when civility and chivalry were alive, part of every day living!
Your photos are always so nice and crisp, almost like I could go get a fork and take a taste. That chicken salad looks so good.
I will check to see if I can find Duke's mayo next time I go to the grocery...I have heard it was the best mayo, ever.
Have a great week, Pattie.

~~louise~~ said...

In another life I always dreamed of having my very own Tea House where required attire would include proper dress and white gloves.

My mother rarely entertained but some how I still imagined ladies dressed in elegant attire chit chatting behind their fans:)

Thanks so much for sharing, Pattie, your salad looks lovely...