Friday, February 24, 2017

Stupidly Easy, Astoundingly Delicious, Slow Cooker Beef & Broccoli


Do you know how you can tell when a dish is really good? When you're dining alone, hear embarrassing sounds of passion, and then realize those sounds are coming from you. Yep, this dish will do it to you.


This is the beef and broccoli to end all beef and broccoli. It easily rivals my favorite take-out place, but wins points hugely in that it is cost-effective, can be made at home, freezes beautifully, and tastes absolutely fantastic. I liked it so much that I bought another chuck roast, and plan on making it again next week. That is, if I can wait until next week, I may just make it again this weekend. Yes, it's that good.
Stupidly Easy, 
Astoundingly Delicious,
Slow Cooker Beef & Broccoli

1-pound boneless beef chuck roast, sliced into thin slices*
1 cup low sodium beef broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon molasses
1 tablespoon
sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon grated
Melissa’s fresh organic ginger
1 head of fresh broccoli, broken into large florets
2 tablespoons cornstarch

In the crock of your slow cooker place beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, molasses, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger, and whisk together until thoroughly blended. Place your thin strips of beef on top of the liquid, and give it a stir so that the beef is well coated.

Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 4-1/2 to 5 hours. At the end of this time, remove 1/4 cup of the juice to a small bowl, and whisk in the cornstarch. Return this mixture to the meat mixture and stir to combine. At this point you can dump in all of your broccoli, pressing it down with the back of a fork or spoon in an attempt to submerge it. Cook for 30 more minutes, during which time you can prepare the rice (Or put your feet up and have a glass of wine, your choice.). When the 30 minutes are up you can dig in. You'll thank me later.

*I decided to make this for dinner this morning, and my chuck roast was frozen. It was a 2-pound chuck roast, and I decided I was only going to use 1 pound, so I put in the microwave on defrost, let it defrost for a little bit (probably about four minutes on the defrost setting), cut it in half, put the other half back in the freezer, and then used a very sharp knife to cut the remaining half into thin strips. I find that when cutting beef into thin strips, no matter what cut of beef it is, that it helps to have it partially frozen. You can really control the size and shape of the strips that way, and it slices easily, and beautifully.


This post is linked to:

5 comments:

Linda said...

I could almost taste this reading the ingredients. It does sound a lot like the take-out! My only hangup would be slicing the beef - I am not to be trusted with knives. :(

The Lazy Gastronome said...

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner link up!

Sandra Lee said...

I'd take this over take out any day! Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, have a great weekend.

The Cape Coop said...

This looks so good - I can almost smell it! Thanks for sharing on Homestead Blog Hop!

Miz Helen said...

This is a great Crock Pot Meal! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back to see us real soon!
Miz Helen