Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Pesto Cucumber-Avocado Soup

Remember last week when I told you to be sure to make the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette because you would need it again? If not, go back and look, I’ll wait. Here’s the reason that you need it, to add a wonderful fresh pesto taste to this delicious cold summer soup. There is nothing better on a hot day than a cup of cold soup, and this one is cooling, refreshing, loaded with nutrition, and lots of flavor. It’s like summer in a cup.
Pesto Cucumber-Avocado Soup

1 large, ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1 large cucumber, unpeeled, and cut into large chunks
1½ c. homemade chicken stock (canned, if you must)
1 Melissa’s shallot, quartered
2½ T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. fresh lime juice
½ c. plain Greek yogurt
Pinch Kosher salt
Pinch red pepper flakes

Place avocado and cucumber into a large capacity food processor fitted with a metal blade, and process until smooth.  With machine running, gradually pour chicken stock through feeder tube; process until smooth.  Add shallots, citrus juices, yogurt, Lemon Basil Vinaigrette, and process until combined.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Chill for at least 2 hours (the longer the better). To serve, ladle into cups or bowls and top with basil chiffonade, croutons, or drizzles of the vinaigrette.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I hate to admit to you I've only had one cold soup - mulligatawny, made by a an English gal. It was delicious, but I kept thinking it would taste better hot. If I was going to eat another cold soup, I would choose this recipe! Your food always looks so inviting.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I love cold fruit soup!! This recipe looks delish, but the vinaigrette really grabs my attention!!