Monday, April 27, 2020

Sour Cream Tzatziki

It’s funny, isn’t it, the things that excite you when your self-quarantining. I noticed today that my cucumber seeds had sprouted, and I was absolutely delirious with joy; I’m not sure how I feel about that. Nonetheless, it got me thinking about all of the ways in which I would like to use those cucumbers, one of which is to make Tzatziki. Fortunately, I didn’t have to wait until mid-summer to do so, I cleverly had a cucumber waiting for me in the fridge. I loved the crispness of the cucumber, combined with the peppery garlic, and summer freshness of the dill, all blended together with sour cream. I know this is normally made with yogurt, but the sour cream recipe is just as good, if you don’t have yogurt on hand. Frankly, I prefer it.
Sour Cream Tzatziki

½ cucumber, grated
1 T.
dry dill
1 garlic clove, grated
1 T. fresh lemon juice
Pinch of
sea salt
¾ c. sour cream

Place cucumber into a
sieve, and a sprinkle with table salt. Allow to drain for a half an hour. Press cucumber down into the sieve to extract the remaining water, and place in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least four hours to meld the flavors. Ideally, it’s best refrigerated overnight before enjoying.

Serve with your favorite dippers.



3 comments:

Linda said...

I have never made or had tzatziki - are you shocked? I know I would love it, just from reading the ingredients. I love Aldi's non-fat Greek yogurt and use it frequently in place of sour cream, but I really think I would like your sour cream version better than yogurt.

Angie's Recipes said...

It's our top favourite sauce and dip!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

My husband is Middle Eastern, so tzatziki is a regular in our house. I never tried it with sour cream, but I will keep it in mind.. thanks for another great recipe..