Monday, March 21, 2022

Butter Dip Cheddar Bay Biscuits

The week before last, on March 3rd to be precise, I made the recipe for Butter Dip Biscuits. Ever since then I have been obsessed with these delicious, super easy-to-make biscuits. Something told me that the recipe would be a trifle forgiving if I wanted to play around with it, so I did. I decided that I wanted to make the very popular Cheddar Bay Biscuits (The Red Lobster copycat) in Butter Dip Biscuit form. Success! Like the plain variety, these are crunchy on the top, chewy on the bottom and sides, and fluffy in the middle. Next up, I’m going to try a sweet version. In the meantime, you have to try one of these recipes.

Butter Dip Cheddar Bay Biscuits

½ c. (one stick) butter
2½ c. flour
1½ T. granulated sugar
1 T.
aluminum free baking powder
1½ t. salt

¼ t. garlic powder

¼ t. onion powder

¼ t. Old Bay Seasoning

1 t. dried parsley flakes
1 c. shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese

1¾ c. of buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Place stick of butter into an 8” x 8” microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave for one minute until butter has melted; set aside.

In a medium bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Old Bay, and cheese. Make a well in the center and pour in buttermilk. Stir with a fork until a loose, sticky dough forms. Pour biscuit dough into baking dish, on top of the melted butter. Smooth out the top as well as you can and cut the dough into nine squares using a sharp knife (this will help with cutting later when they are done).

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the dish once during baking.

These can be stored on the counter, covered, for up to two days. They will last for a week if stored in the refrigerator. You can freeze them for up to three months.

 

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Thank you!

michellez said...

Looks good, but what is with the aluminum free baking powder? Is that a MUST have, does it affect the rise of the biscuits?
thanks!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

That is a good question, Michelle. The main difference between aluminum-free baking powder and baking powder with aluminum, (besides the taste, and there IS a difference), is that aluminum-free reacts with liquids and not with heat. Therefore, once the liquid is added, this baking powder immediately goes to work. I find that I get higher, lighter biscuits when I use aluminum-free. That said, if you don’t want to invest in it, regular baking powder will work, but your results may differ from mine.

Gina said...

I love butter dip biscuits - I will never roll out biscuits like my mother did. Don't call the cops but I have never had that Old Bay seasoning...

Marie Smith said...

It always surprises me how high a heat is required for biscuits. These look delicious!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Pattie,
All of your baking always looks so delicious. I've never heard of butter dip biscuits, but I'll bet they are amazing.

Linda said...

I still want to make your original Butter Dips. Any recipe with "Place stick of butter" in the directions are must-make on my list. So I'll just make these instead - sounds and looks so good! Looking forward to your sweet version.