Monday, September 12, 2022

Lemon Olive Pesto


I don’t know what’s happening at your house, but it is pesto season at mine. The basil that I planted in the spring has grown by leaps and bounds and is ready for harvest. I have a lot of new pesto recipes to try, but thought I would start with this one. It is adapted from one that I saw on the Melissa's website. I’ve never made pesto without including Parmesan cheese, so was curious as to whether or not this would be as rich and delicious as other pesto that I’ve made. It was! The citrus juice and peel gives it a wonderful brightness, the olives a magnificent, buttery depth. If you like olives as much as I do, you may want to make a double batch.

Lemon Olive Pesto

 8 oz. Castelvetrano olives, pitted

½ c. fresh basil leaves

½ c. flat-leaf Italian parsley

½ c. walnut halves

1 T. organic capers, rinsed

1 lemon, juiced and zested*

¼ t. kosher salt

½ t. red pepper flakes

¼ c. extra virgin olive oil

 Place all ingredients EXCEPT oil into the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times until combined. With motor running, slowly add oil until combined and desired texture is reached.

 *Zest before juicing


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

3 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I will make this! Thank you!

Linda said...

You had me at olives - that looks like a stellar combination! My mouth started watering as soon as I saw the title - lol!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I don't know how I missed this. Olives, pesto, and pasta. I'm in love!