Monday, May 22, 2023

Pesto Lasagna

 One of the things that I really enjoy about summer is growing basil. It’s easy to grow, super easy to propagate, the smell is fresh, heady, and wonderful, and I am a sucker for good pesto. I like it so much that I could eat it with a spoon and, just between you and me, I have.

When I saw this recipe for pesto lasagna, I knew that I had to give it a try. I had pesto in the freezer from last summer, and was saving it for something special, and this was it. I altered this recipe slightly, because I am not about to boil lasagna noodles. The first time I ever made lasagna, it was a total disaster, and the noodles were to blame. Once bitten, twice shy. Now I am a fan of the no boil variety, and use them in every kind of lasagna that I make. I do tend to make it a day ahead of time, cover it, and stick it in the fridge, so that the noodles get a good opportunity to soften up. You don’t have to, that’s just my preference.

If you’re looking for a wonderful main dish for meatless Monday, this is it. Cheesy, light, and delicious, I do believe this is one that the whole family will enjoy.

Pesto Lasagna

Slightly adapted from threeolivebranch.com

 Béchamel Pesto Sauce

3 T. butter

3 T. flour

3 c. whole milk

½ t. salt

¼ t. freshly ground black pepper

Few gratings fresh nutmeg

1½ c. basil pesto*

Cheese Mixture

15 oz. ricotta cheese

⅓ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1 large egg

½ T. dried basil or 2 T. fresh, chopped

½ t. garlic powder

½ t. salt

½ t. freshly ground black pepper

 Lasagna

6 No Boil Lasagna Noodles (approximately)

3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

6 T. freshly grated Parmesan cheese

 Make the Pesto Béchamel Sauce

In a medium or large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. When melted, add the flour and stir to combine. Cook 30-60 seconds. Whisk in the milk, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg. Cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce slightly thickens, approximately 7-10 minutes.

Remove the sauce from the heat. Add the pesto and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.

 Prepare Cheese Mixture

In a medium bowl, combine all of the cheese mixture ingredients. Season to taste with salt, basil, and pepper.

 Assembly

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F.

Spread ½ cup of the pesto sauce across the bottom of a 9” x 9” baking dish.

 Lay three strips across the bottom of the dish, slightly overlapping. Break noodles in thin strips to fill in the edges. Dollop 1 cup of the cheese mixture over the noodles, and gently spread across the noodles. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella on top of the cheese mixture, followed by 2 Tablespoons of Parmesan. Scoop and gently spread 1 cup of the pesto sauce across the cheeses.

 Repeat another layer of noodles, cheese mixture, mozzarella, Parmesan, and pesto sauce. You should be out of the ricotta cheese mixture at this time.

 Prepare the top layer by laying out the third layer of noodles. Top with the remaining pesto sauce, approximately 1.5 cups (unless you want to save some for serving).

 Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella and 2 Tablespoons of Parmesan.

 Cover with foil and bake for approximately 50 minutes. The edges of the dish should be bubbling and the top cheese melted. Remove the foil and finish baking 10-15 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. (Want a darker top? Remove the cover earlier or turn on the broiler for a few minutes).

 Remove from oven and let sit 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

 *Homemade is best, but this one is decent in a pinch.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

4 comments:

Donna said...

This is so Different! Looks good!
hugs
Donna

Gina said...

That looks so rich and decadent! I am a big fan of stirring pesto into spaghetti sauce or marinara. And maybe I should try my hand at growing it!

Marie Smith said...

Looks delicious as usual!

I have absolutely no luck growing basil! Sigh!

Linda said...

I've not tried the no-boil noodles, and I've never made pesto (are you gasping?), but this looks really, really good.