Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Cozy Crockpot Comfort: Kielbasa, Sauerkraut & Sweet Apples

 
A while back, while the weather was still stubbornly warm, I had the audacity to share a Slow Cooker French Onion Soup recipe. One of my more critical commenters (the kind who only pops up with negativity) promptly informed me it was far too hot for onion soup and that I really shouldn’t post such things.

 Well… I cook what I want, when I want. So here comes another cozy fall-inspired dish, summer temperatures be damned: a simple, deeply satisfying slow cooker sauerkraut, kielbasa, and apple dinner.

 This recipe is almost ridiculously easy. It’s loosely inspired by a couple of versions I’ve seen over the years, and the result made me extremely happy. The kielbasa cooks low and slow until it turns nearly butter-tender. Just toss everything in early in the day, set it to low, let the house fill with that wonderful savory-sweet aroma, and come home to an effortless, comforting dinner.

Melt-in-Your-Mouth Slow Cooker Kielbasa with Sauerkraut & Apples

 1 32-oz. jar sauerkraut, drained

2 lbs. smoked kielbasa, cut into 2” diagonals

2 large apples, cut into wedges

1 medium sweet onion, thickly sliced

1 T. caraway seeds

4 cloves garlic

1 c. apple cider

2 T.  brown sugar

 Add the sauerkraut, kielbasa, apple, onion, caraway seeds, and garlic into a 3-quart slow cooker (I used this one). Stir to combine.

 In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix the apple cider with the brown sugar until the sugar dissolves. Pour the mixture over the sauerkraut and sausage.

 Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or on Low for 6–7 hours, until the kielbasa is incredibly tender and the flavors have melded beautifully.

 Serve with crusty bread, mashed potatoes, or just a big spoon. I like to serve mine with a little mustard on the side. The tangy sauerkraut, sweet apple, and rich sausage create the perfect balance, i.e. comfort food that feels like a hug, no matter what the thermometer says.

 I hope you love it as much as I did. What’s your favorite “out of season” dish you make anyway?


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments: