Monday, March 14, 2011

IRISH COFFEE and a Good Book

The above collage features books from a list of St. Patrick's Day mysteries (complete list shown below) created by Janet Rudolph from her wonderful Mystery Fanfare blog.  I like seasonal reading and this group of St. Patty's murders certainly fills the bill.  What to imbibe while reading a St. Pat's mystery?  An Irish coffee, of course!

I always thought the making of an Irish Coffee to be pretty basic, so was rather stunned when I ordered one at a local pub and was delivered some horrid concoction of whiskey, Bailey's Irish Cream (Ew!  I'm not a fan of that creamy liquid that, to me, tastes more like ersatz flavored coffee creamer than a liqueur), with a stir-in of instant coffee.  I still shudder when I think of it, and have to shake my head at that waitress/bartender who delivered it with such aplomb, then upon seeing my rather horrified  look, pulled it back and asked, "What's in an Irish coffee?"  Well, coffee for one, Irish, for another, i.e. Irish whiskey, either Jameson or Old  Bushmill's if you want to be authentic.  It's permissible to drop a sugar cube in first if you like your coffee sweet, but I'm a purist so omit it.
I have a set of glassware that makes it easy, pour the whiskey to the first line, the coffee to the second, and top with real whipped cream (REAL WHIPPED CREAM - do NOT use Redi-Whip or heaven forbid, something non-dairy like Cool Whip.  Cows, people!  Cream comes from cows, not chemists!).  Warming and wonderful, I guarantee no matter how bad your day started or may have become, Irish Coffee will make it all better.  Now...back to my book!





St. Patrick's Day Mysteries 
Nelson Demille: Cathedral § Andrew Greeley: Irish Gold § Jane Haddam: A Great Day for the Deadly § Lyn Hamilton: The Celtic Riddle § Lee Harris: The St. Patrick's Day Murder § Jonathan Harrington: A Great Day for Dying § Wendi Lee: The Good Daughter § Dan Mahoney: Once in, Never Out § Leslie Meier: St. Patrick's Day Murder § Sister Carol Anne O'Marie: Death Takes Up A Collection § Ralph M. McInerny: Lack of the Irish § Janet Elaine Smith: In St. Patrick's Custody § Kathy Hogan Trochek: Irish Eyes § Noreen Wald: Death Never Takes a Holiday

This is linked to:

2 comments:

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks for linking. Think I'll have an Irish coffee now. :-)

Ott, A. said...

Just Stopping by from TMTT. I wonder if I could use bourbon instead of whiskey in my coffee. (Maybe it wouldn't be irish then.) Either way Happy St. Patricks Day and while I'm here I wanted to invite you to check out my Iron Chef Challenge This month's themed ingredient is canned tomatoes, so link up a recipe using those and you could win a prize. It should be a lot of fun, hope you can join us!!