Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spicy Sausage and Potato Soup

It's hard to imagine waking up near the end of March and seeing five inches of snow on the ground, at least where we live, so inasmuch as springtime normally doesn't have me thinking about thick, hearty soups, today certainly did.  In digging through the fridge I found the remainder of a package of andouille sausages that we'd bought for making jambalaya and remembered that I'd printed out a recipe for an andouille and potato soup, so decided to give it a try.  The recipe can be found here, but for the sake of convenience I've also listed it below.

Before I proceed, let me tell you that it is delicious!  I'd never made soup in a skillet before, so that was a first, nor had I ever made soup with andouille.  The skillet preparation makes it quick and easy, with little need for extensive clean-up afterwards, and the andouille makes for one delicious soup.  It's very hearty, so a bowl of this and a roll, and you have dinner.  I served mine with a tiny little side of mixed greens.
The recipe called for the sausage to be diced, but my husband thought he'd prefer it sliced, so that's what I did.  I'm not so sure dicing isn't the better idea in order to get a better sausage-to-spoonful ratio, but do whatever you'd prefer here.

Spicy Sausage and Potato Soup

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
12 to 16 ounces andouille sausage or other smoked sausage
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream


In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, celery, and diced (or in my case, sliced) sausage.
Saute until the vegetables are tender and sausage is lightly browned. 
Stir in the flour until smooth and well-blended.
Stir in green onions, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring, for 1 minute. 
Blend in the chicken broth. Add the diced potatoes, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. 
Stir in the heavy cream and continue cooking until heated through.  

Serves 6.

This post is linked to:
SouperSundays

3 comments:

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

It's still really, really cold up here in Michigan - even some snow on the ground! A bowl of this soup sounds great to me. Reminds me of my favorite Olive Garden soup - only better! :) :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Sausage and potato is such a great combination--your soup looks creamy and delicious.

Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. I hope to have you back again soon.

Aloha,

Deb

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I came across your blog via The Decorative Dreamer. And I think I'm in love with you.

I've just looked through a couple of your pages of posts and the recipes! Oh the recipes! I could die -- fat and happy -- if I made all of your lovely recipes because, you see, I have very little restraint when it comes to a good scone or a chocolate stout cake or a hearty cup of soup or even a cobb salad.

I'm your newest follower!