Sunday, November 27, 2011

Iron Horse Steak Chili


Locally owned Sauce Magazine – the only independent culinary publication in St. Louis – has been one of my favorite food information sources since its inception in 1999.  Featuring articles, reviews, and interviews with chefs, restaurateurs, purveyors, mixologists, sommeliers, culinary innovators, and home cooking enthusiasts, it also contains a wide variety of interesting recipes.  A lover of chili from my youth, this months (November 2011) issue featured a recipe from Mile 277 Tap & Grill that called my name: Iron Horse Steak Chili.
I’ve made a lot of chili in my day, but surprisingly never made a variety containing stew meat, so I thought I’d give this a try.  I followed the directions as written, with one exception.  Since I’ve never known stew meat to tenderize in less than an hour this seemed off to me, so I made the entire recipe and then poured it into the Crockpot and cooked it on low for two hours and high for one hour.  Perfect!  The meat (that I cut into ¾-inch pieces) was tender and flavorful.  The mixture of spices was well suited to my taste; the ratio of tomatoes to beans to meat was just as it should be.  I will certainly make this again, but since old habits die hard, I’m going to try it with ground chuck rather than stew meat.  Who knows?  I may end up with chili perfection.



Iron Horse Steak Chili 
Courtesy of Mile 277’s 
Jason Tilford and Chris LaRocca 

2 lbs. beef stew meat 
1 small yellow onion, minced, plus ¼ cup minced for garnish 
¾ green pepper, minced 
1 jalapeño pepper, minced 
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1 10-oz. can diced tomato, including juices 
2 15-oz. cans kidney beans 
½ cup barbecue sauce, preferably Bull’s-Eye 
2 Tbsp. chili powder 
1/5 Tbsp. cayenne pepper 
1 Tbsp. ground cumin 
1 bay leaf 
1 cup beef broth 
Salt to taste 
Cheddar cheese to garnish 

In a large stockpot, cook the beef until browned and cooked through. Remove from the heat and drain half of the grease. Return the stockpot to the heat and, using remaining grease, sauté the onion, green pepper, jalapeño and garlic for 10 minutes.  Add all remaining ingredients, except cheddar cheese and reserved ¼ cup minced onion. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, adjusting seasoning as needed.  Garnish each serving with grated cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of onion.

This post is linked to: 

6 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Patti,
That is awesome looking Chili! Thanks for sharing and hope you are having a great day!
Miz Helen

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

This sounds delicious! I like your idea of finishing it in a slow-cooker.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

~~louise~~ said...

I've never made chili with stew meat either. I can definitely see using the crock to tenderize the meat. GREAT idea!

You've mentioned that magazine before Pattie. It sure seems like a keeper!

Thanks for sharing...

Cindy said...

Hi,

I am hosting a Holiday Cookie Recipe swap and would love to get the word out to other bloggers to post and share their recipe. I do get good traffic on my site so it would mean traffic for others.

http://happyhomemakercindy.com/2011/11/the-hhc-holiday-cookie-recipe-swap/

I would love it if you could share the idea with you blogger friends.

Teddy Bear said...

Nice recipe! I have never tried using "Horse" in my recipe name but it sure did catch my attention!

Toy Piano said...

Hi! This beef stew was the best I've had in quite sometime. Glancing at the Title I thought horse meat was what would really be used. Anyway, it was really delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!