Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Homemade Potato Chips with Garlic & Herbs

If you’re honest with yourself, I think you’ll agree with me that there are some days when you want a salty snack, something crisp and crunchy and perfect for scooping up a generous portion of your favorite dip.  That’s how I felt today.  I had a can of mixed nuts on hand, but I wanted something with lots of flavor and serious crunch.  Face it, I wanted potato chips!  I’m not a fan of anything deep fried, so figured that I could probably make my own, healthier version of chips with a lot more flavor.  I did.  It took only three ingredients, about 5 minutes active time, and around a half an hour baking (so plan your cravings ahead).  It was purely experimental and I really didn’t expect them to be as good as they turned out to be.  I’ll never buy a potato chip again!

Homemade Potato Chips with Garlic & Herbs

Extra virgin olive oil for brushing
1 medium russet potato, peeled

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Cover 2 large baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper. Using a mandoline or hand-held slicer, slice the potatoes lengthwise as thinly as possible (My slices were between 1/8 and 1/16).  Arrange in a flat layer (do NOT overlap!) on the baking sheets. Brush lightly with oil and bake until golden throughout, 25 to 27 minutes. Watch them!   Start checking their progress at about 20 minutes, and turn the cookie sheet for even browning.  When baked to desired doneness, transfer to paper towels and sprinkle with herb and salt blend.

 This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Mary said...

Pattie~ You are speaking my language~ potatoes are my kryptonite! Your chips look golden and delicious~ I'll have to give them a try :)

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Love potato chips but never made them with garlic and herbs. There are being featured on Sunday's Best!

Bella@artclubblog said...

They look delicious. I now have a serious craving for them and it's only 9:30am! Must be patient...