Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Outstanding" Beef Brisket


When my mother became ill and needed to be hospitalized a little over a month ago, I knew I had a big job ahead of me.  Yes, caring for my mother (who is now recovering in a skilled nursing center, I’m happy to say) by keeping a very close eye on hospital staff was work, but even more daunting was cooking for my dad.  Three times a week I’d run (and still do) full meals (dessert included) out to him to keep him well nourished.  He’s happy with pretty much anything (Although I think he’s still reeling from the Torta Rustica not knowing, with a name that contained the word Torta, if it was a main dish or a dessert!) but, basically, he’s a meat and potatoes man.  So it was time, I thought, to pull out the meat-and-potatoes-man cookbook, Cooking the Cowboy Way: Recipes Inspired by Campfires, Chuck Wagons, and Ranch Kitchens.  The recipe below is adapted from the King Beef Oven Brisket in the book and was deemed Outstanding by my dad.  I have to say that he’s right.  It was the best brisket that I think I’ve ever eaten.

Outstanding" Beef Brisket 

1 tablespoon Penzey’s Chili Con Carne Seasoning 
(can substitute chili powder)
1-1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon Penzey’s Northwoods Fire Seasoning (optional)
1 4-pound beef brisket, trimmed
1 1/2 cups beef stock or broth

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the rub, combine the chili seasoning, salt, onion, garlic powder, mustard, pepper, sugar, espresso powder, and Northwoods Fire Seasoning in a small bowl, and mix thoroughly.
Season the brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan or Dutch oven and roast uncovered for 1 hour.
Add the beef stock or broth and enough water so that there's about 1/2 inch of liquid in the pan.
Cover tightly with heavy foil (or the lid, if using a Dutch oven), decrease the oven temperature to 300 degrees F, and continue cooking for 3 more hours or until fork-tender.
Slice the meat thinly across the grain. Top with the juices from the pan, and serve to the hungry man in your life!

This post is linked to:


4 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

That sure does look like one Outstanding brisket, Pattie. I've been longing for a hearty brisket for months now. I'll be keeping this recipe! I better get my butt moving though I need to order some spices from Penzey’s. I'm running low on Fall seasonings.

Delighted to hear your mom is doing better. I'm sure your dad is missing her:)

Thanks for sharing...

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

This beef brisket looks so delicious, it certainly is very outstanding! I am sure your dad appreciates your efforts very much, look at all your wonderful cooking and baking!

Linda said...

I had to laugh at your Dad wondering about a torta. :) Your parents are very lucky to have you in their lives.

This recipe is the one I will try next time for brisket - looks amazing.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I'm with your dad. This roast looks outstanding.

He and your mom are very lucky to have such a loving daughter. Hope your mom continues to improve and can come home soon.

Thanks so much for stopping by my kitchen. Have a great week.
Sam