Friday, September 21, 2012

Pumpkin Ice Cream


I've made a lot of things with pumpkin, but have never once made pumpkin ice cream, so when I saw this recipe in Taste of the Southmagazine, I had to try it.  It was quite an experience!  Generally,  Mr. O-P is the ice cream maker in the family, but these days I’ve been running amok with the ice cream maker.  So when my custard looked like it was beginning to curdle I feared that I’d failed despite having followed the instructions to the letter, and stirred with reckless abandon.  Fortunately, as it turned out, it did not curdle.  In fact, I ended up with one of the creamiest, most delicious ice creams that I’ve ever made.  Abundantly pumpkin-y, spicy and unique, this is one dessert that will cause your friends and family to raise their eyebrows in enraptured culinary bliss, and say, Yummmmm!  I topped mine with a sprinkling of Heath Brickle Bits.  You can also grate cinnamon or nutmeg on top, sprinkle with crushed ginger snaps, or drizzle with your favorite topping.  I tried it with each of Melissa’s Dessert Sauces and it was wonderful no matter how I topped it.  For purists, it is also delicious simply left alone.

Pumpkin Ice Cream
Taste of the South Magazine

1-1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 large egg yolks
1 16-ounce can pumpkin*
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream, sugars, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Place egg yolks in a medium bowl; whisk in half of hot milk mixture. Return egg mixture to remaining milk mixture in saucepan, whisking to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat; stir in pumpkin. Strain pumpkin mixture through a sieve set over a bowl. Add pumpkin pie spice and vanilla to pumpkin mixture, whisking to combine. Cover, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, approximately 4 hours.
Process pumpkin mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon into a freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze until firm, approximately 3 hours. Serve with pecan brittle, if desired.
Yield: 4 cups

*I used less than this, about ¾ of the can, because that was all I had on hand.

2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Pumpkin Ice Cream! Oh how cool. You know I've never made ice cream before but if I did, I sure would love to try making it Pumpkiny:) Love the Heath Brickle Bits for a topping too.

Thanks for sharing, Pattie...it looks heavenly:)

Mich Piece of Cake said...

This looks great, its a very different flavor for ice cream and I am sure very delicious!