Tuesday, September 2, 2014

My Favorite Vinaigrette


Even if you are not a cook and have no desire to be one, anyone with a kitchen who occasionally puts a meal on the table needs to have a few basic recipes. You need a recipe for a good biscuit, nourishing bowl of soup, comforting meatloaf, and an easy vinaigrette. 

I never buy salad dressing anymore, I make it. It is just too easy to make it fresh than have to run to the store for something that has been preserved and bottled for God knows how long. This is my
go toversion, but it can be changed to suit in a variety of ways. When I want to dress a salad that contains fruit, I'll use raspberry vinegar, double up on the sugar, and halve the mustard (though always use some mustard, if only a tiny bit, because it provides an added zing). When I am making a version to dress an Italian salad, I'll make it a couple of days ahead and add a sprig of fresh herbs -- generally thyme -- for added flavor. To top a simple wedge salad, I'll often whisk in a tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. The varieties are endless and, with this one simple, easily changeable recipe, you will always have a delicious dressing on hand just waiting to enhance your perfect, fresh salad. Commit this one to memory, you'll thank me later. 

Simple Vinaigrette

1/3 cup cider vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons sugar
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt.
½ cup vegetable oil

Place all dry ingredients into the bottom of a medium size mixing bowl and whisk together until blended.  
Whisk in vinegar to blend.  
Slowly add oil in a stream, whisking constantly to emulsify. 
Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.  Will keep up to a week (if it lasts that long.)


This post is linked to:

5 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I was just thinking the other day that I need to start making my own, and this is great. I probably would have dumped my ingredients in all at once, so I am glad to get the direction to pour the oil in a stream. Thanks!

xo

Sheila :-)

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

This looks like it would make a really nice salad dressing, with a nice tang to it!

Susan said...

This is a lovely post with beautiful photos - and thanks for the great recipe and recipe links! I found this at the #ThursdayFavoriteThingsBlogHop :)

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I needed this! Thanks for sharing on your beautiful blog with the Thursday Blog hop!

Miz Helen said...

Patti,
Looks looks fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome post with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a fantastic weekend!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen