Sunday, November 14, 2010

CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP

Today I tried another recipe from what has quickly become my favorite cookbook, More Special Requests, a book of requested recipes from area restaurants and a publication of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.  This recipe is the product of a delightful restaurant called The Mississippi Half Step located in the Historic 1885 Brainerd house in Grafton, IL, and is without a doubt the best mushroom soup I've ever eaten.


As the temperatures dip and the wind rattles the windows, I can't imagine a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than with a good book, a crackling fire in the fireplace, and a bowl of this delicious, warming soup.




CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
The Mississippi Half Step Restaurant
Yield: 8 (1-cup) servings

5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup sherry
3 cups vegetable stock
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons dried tarragon
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish
 Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

In a very large pot, combine oil and onion; cook over medium-low heat until onions are translucent. Add garlic and mushrooms; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and simmer until the liquid cooks away, about 12 minutes.

Add stock, milk and cream; increase heat and bring to a boil. Stir in tarragon, basil, salt and pepper; boil for 2 minutes.

In another pot, melt butter; whisk in flour, making a roux. Whisk roux into soup and cook until thickened, 6 to 10 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with Parmesan and parsley.
 
Per serving: 474 calories; 44g fat (83 percent calories from fat); 23g saturated fat; 118mg cholesterol; 5g protein; 14g carbohydrate; 4.5g sugar; 1g fiber; 699mg sodium; 127mg calcium; 274mg potassium.

Cookbook Sundays Badge

Linked up at Cookbook Sundays - Brenda's Canadian Kitchen.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pattie, thank you so much for sharing this delicious-sounding soup with Cookbook Sundays. I have to agree, a fire, a book and a bowl of this soup - it doesn't get much better than that (maybe add a glass of wine in there, lol). Enjoy your Sunday!

Katerina said...

I love mushroom soup in fact I posted for one last week. This one is cream of mushroom which means more thick and satisfying. I love this one as well.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I love mushroom soup. I can't wait to make this one. Thanks so much Pattie.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Your soups is just as pretty as the one in the cookbook. We love mushroom soup. I like the tarragon and basil in this recipe!

julie said...

I really love cream of mushroom soup and yours looks divine! What a delicious looking recipe.

Mary said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and following!
I must say, this soup recipe looks fabulous, and homemade cream of mushroom is my favorite. I am so glad you commented, so I could find you. :)

-Mary

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Pattie this mushroom soup looks beautiful - mushroom is probably my second favourite soup flavour (favourite is definitely pea and ham). Like the idea of the sherry in here, as well as the tarragon and basil - definitely one for me to try.
Sue