Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tapenade



Tapenade is one of those things that I make with the best of intention to use in other dishes -- I have been most anxious to try a Muffaletta Salad that calls for 5 ounces of tapenade -- but because it is always so fresh and flavorful and delicious, I end up eating it before it can ever be used for other purposes. That's a good thing, I suppose, because it speaks volumes for just how good it is.

One need not have a recipe to make tapenade. It is, essentially, black olives (I always use Kalamata), capers, and olive oil. Most recipes call for anchovies which is traditional in the French version, but I'm not hugely fond of anchovies, so tend to eliminate it or use just a smidgen of anchovy paste. In my version I use garlic, add lots of fresh parsley, and a hefty amount of cracked black pepper. Spread onto toasted slices of baguette, and it is absolute heaven.

Tapenade

2 small cloves garlic, minced
1 cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives
2 tablespoons capers
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1-1/2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Place olives into a sieve and rinse thoroughly.  Then place all ingredients into a blender bowl or work bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely minced.  Drizzle in oil and pulse until thoroughly combined.


This post is linked to:

1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Patti,
I am like you to keep thing like this on hand. Your Tapenade looks awesome, I would really enjoy it in many different recipes. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen