Thursday, June 4, 2015

Peanut Butter Squares



I often talk about how I'll wax nostalgic and dig through my mother's old recipes. Well, there are some days when I'll do the same and go through my old recipes. Inasmuch as I hate to admit it, my recipes now fall into the vintage category, as do I. The other day while rummaging, I came upon this little slip of paper. 
At first, it puzzled me, then I realized that this was a recipe for a dessert that I used to make back in the 80s called Peanut Butter Squares. Clearly it was written in haste, hence the drawing of a square rather than writing it out. Obviously, it was one that I made often enough to not even bother to jot down the full directions. I guess I just figured that the directions were so burned on my brain that I only needed the measurements of the ingredients in order to make it again.

In looking at the ingredients, it looked sickeningly sweet. Times change, tastes change, and I am not the sweet lover that I once was, but I was curious to know just what I’d considered tasty those many years ago, so I made the recipe. These are sweet, very sweet, but I think they most closely replicate the taste and texture of the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup more than any other recipe around. They do need chilling, lots of it, or they are too gooey to handle. But if you can keep yourself away for 24-48 hours, you'll be pleased with the result, and these keep well.

In short (unless it is now too late for that), I'm happy to have made these and reacquainted myself with an old favorite.
Peanut Butter Squares

¾ cup brown sugar
1 pound confectioners’ sugar
1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
2 cups creamy peanut butter (I recommend Jif®)
1 12-ounce package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Line an 8x8 inch square pan with foil.

Place the brown sugar, powdered sugar, butter, and peanut butter into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until smooth and creamy.

Spoon the peanut butter mixture into the foil-lined pan and smooth surface.  Place in the fridge to firm up a bit.

Place semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter into a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring often until melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture over the peanut butter layer and smooth the surface. Cover loosely and place in the fridge for 24-48 hours. Slice into bars and serve.  Keep refrigerated. 
This post is linked to:

9 comments:

Linda said...

I've tried a recipe for peanut butter cups with graham cracker crumbs and am not fond of that texture, so these sound smoother. The addition of brown sugar is interesting; they sure look good! Love the drawn squares on your recipe card. ;)

Marigene said...

These sound delicious...I ♥ Reese's! I am going to give them a try. Just need to get Jif while shopping today. Thanks for sharing, Pattie.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

This recipe sound wonderful, but unfortunately being a diabetic I am afraid that this is a no no for me. But, it looks wonderful and I just know that it tastes terrific.
Thanks so much for this recipe.
Mary

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I just bought peanut butter and chocolate for donuts...I know what I'll be making. The texture is amazing, and so are the photographs.

Denise said...

Patti, these look and sound delicious!! You do a good job with your food photography. I've already pinned the recipe. :)

My sister has a very similar recipe that she used to make years ago, and they were delicious. Her recipe uses graham cracker crumbs as a base, and I don't think it calls for brown sugar, so not quite as sweet. I think homemade Reece's Cups are the best, don't you?

Thanks for sharing, Patti, and have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Denise at Forest Manor

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hello Pattie,
These sweet treats looked so inviting ... yummy. I love peanut butter. ... shall bookmark this. Thanks for sharing :D

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh my word - you know back in the skinny 90 pound high school years I used to eat one of those every lunch = I loved the school cafeteria's version. Reesee cups are the best candy EVER - my absolutely favorite - and I have never made peanut butter bars. I am so excited to find you shared your treasured recipe/
Yay! Have it printed and will try it out next week when I have no plans but to try fun stuff like this. Thank you!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

ps

the pic of your teeth marks made me actually laugh out loud, too cute.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Michele, you are a hoot! I do hope you noticed the fine orthodontic work here. ;-)