Monday, August 24, 2015

Karo Icebox Cookies



Today I decided to try a recipe that I, personally, have never made. Not only that, but the last time I even so much as tasted these cookies was more than 30 years ago. I'm not quite sure what made me think of them, but one minute I was a little girl in my mother's kitchen, waiting for these cookies to cool, trying to decide which flavor I liked the best, coconut or chocolate, and the next I was in my own kitchen rummaging through my mother's old recipe box and whipping up two batches of my own. I was curious to see if what I'd thought about them all those years ago still held true today.

In looking at this recipe, supposedly based on a 100-year-old Dutch version, I have to wonder why my mother never tried any of the other varieties. Whenever she made this cookie it was either the coconut or the chocolate, period. I also have to wonder just why, when I made this for the first time on my own, that I did exactly the same thing. Old habits, even when they are somebody else's, apparently die hard.

I was happy to discover that I still like these cookies. They are crunchy, delicately flavored, and slightly sweet. This is a cookie that is perfect for dunking in milk or coffee, and excellent to serve for tea. The recipe halves easily, so you can make two variations to see which one is your favorite. Try them for yourself and let me know.
Karo Icebox Cookies

3 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup Karo syrup
1/2 cup sugar, granulated or brown

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda; set aside. Beat butter until soft and creamy. Add Karo syrup and sugar. Add sifted dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly with hands until stiff dough is formed. Shape into 3 rolls. Wrap in waxed paper, chill in refrigerator 3 to 4 hours, or until firm enough to slice. Slice 1/8 - 1/4-inch thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until s;lightly brown around the edges.

Yield: About 8 dozen 2-inch cookies

Variations:

Coconut Cookies: Add 1 cup shredded coconut after the sugar.
Chocolate Cookies: Sift 6 tablespoons cocoa with flour.
Chocolate Nut Cookies: Add 1 cup chopped nut meats to chocolate variation.
Spice Cookies: Add 1 t. each of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg; sift with dry ingredients.
Fruit Cookies: Add 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruits to the dough.
Fruit Spice Cookies: Combine fruit and spice variations given.
Raisin Cookies: Add 1 t. each of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and 1 cup chopped raisins before adding flour.
This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Marigene said...

Pattie, these sound and look delicious, especially the coconut ones. Now that is starting to cool off I may feel more like baking.

Linda said...

I've had icebox cookies but not Karo cookies; I wonder why. I would love them plain!

Judi said...

I think this is the recipe my mother-in-law made that my husband loved. Just the plain ones and they are better a day or two later.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Thanks for commenting, Judi. I had forgotten all about these. I think it’s time to make more, and yes the plain ones sound pretty good.