Friday, August 21, 2015

Katharine Hepburn's Brownies


I am a big fan of Katharine Hepburn, and have been since the first time I laid eyes on her in Desk Set, a movie that I watch every holiday season in the same way that others watch It's a Wonderful Life. I loved her independence, feistiness, and that she had a strong opinion on every subject, and voiced it! Her observation about men and women, Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then. was spot on. She was terse, succinct, and no-nonsense, which was why, when I found her brownie recipe, I had to try it. It is an easy one, made with relatively few ingredients, and a simple pot and spoon, yielding no muss, no fuss deliciousness. Despite the fact that I do make brownies, I've never been a particular fan, until now. Leave it to Hepburn to get these right as well. They are dense, chewy, chocolaty, perfection. The recipe runs rampant on the Internet. I found this one on epicurious.com, and adapted it slightly to reflect the sad fact that Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate squares are no longer one ounce. For shame!

Katharine Hepburn's Brownies

1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to
325°F.  Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan; set aside.

Melt butter and chocolate together until smooth; remove from heat. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla, and beat until incorporated. Stir in flour and salt. (In the original recipe, 1 cup chopped walnuts is added here as well.)

Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake
for about 40 minutes.

You can dust these with powdered sugar, if you like. I just left mine as is, they didn't last long anyway.

This post is linked to:

9 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Je suis très heureuse de vous retrouver...
Je me régale rien qu'en regardant et en vous lisant !... Je crois que c'est la première pâtisserie que j'ai fait à mon ami !...
Aurait-il été séduit ?

Merci pour le partage de cette jolie publication.

Gros bisous ♡

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Hello dear Party!
I'm so glad you posted Katherine Hepburn's brownies as I'be made them for at least 20 years! The first time I found her recipe was at an old Gourmet magazine. So now I can pin it, thanks to you.
Have a great weekend ahead.
FABBY

Linda said...

My daughter and I love Katherine Hepburn and search for her movies to binge watch when we get together.

I've always been afraid to make these because they have (yikes!) 1/4 cup flour and I was concerned they would be way too gooey. Your photo convinces me otherwise. My husband would slather butter all over these. ;)

Janet Rudolph said...

I totally forgot about this recipe--I'm big on 'celebrity' chocolate recipes. Fab photos and post.

Barbara said...

These look delicious! I really enjoyed her book "Me". I will have to check out that movie.

Chloe Crabtree said...

These brownies look heavenly, really mouth-watering. I am trying to figure out when I will have enough time to whip up some of these yummy treats. I know I have lots of family who would be happy to share them with me! Thank you so much for sharing over at Celebrate it Sunday!

Unknown said...

Short and sweet and oh so good looking! Thank you for posting these. I'm pinning. I think I might have to check out that movie, too!

bj said...

These look good...I love brownies...
I liked her, too, and so did S. Tracey. :)

S H Elliott said...

These look delicious! I am saving the recipe to try soon. Sheila