Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Beefy Tacos



My love for Mexican food is legendary (or, perhaps, just a legend in my own mind). Honestly, I could eat it in some form once or twice a week. So when I spotted this recipe on epicurious.com that also employed the use of the crockpot, I had to try it.

I changed the recipe up a bit based upon what I happened to have on hand, substituting the called for Serrano peppers with one of my homegrown jalapeno peppers. I also used my own homemade refried beans (I still cannot believe how good these are) in place of canned.

This recipe was so easy. There is a bit of initial prep work, and thoroughly draining the meat mixture is very important. I loved that I could get this ready after breakfast and then just let it hang out in the crockpot on the low setting, scenting the house with mouthwatering spicy goodness all day.

I love toppings, so, with the exception of the avocado, did all of my slicing and chopping early in the day, put everything in individual dishes and let each diner pick and choose their own toppings based upon personal preferences. This was a major hit, and fun to both serve and eat.
 
Beefy Tacos
Slightly adapted from epicurious.com

1 pound ground chuck
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 cups
homemade refried beans
1 jar (16 oz.) your favorite salsa
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 large jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
12 small corn or flour tortillas

Various toppings such as: tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sliced black olives, avocado, cilantro, chopped onion, and sour cream

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, stir beef and onion until brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, stirring frequently, 1 minute. Drain excess oil and transfer to a slow cooker. Stir in beans, salsa, cheddar, and jalapeno. Cover and let simmer until mixture is cooked through and bubbling, 3 to 4 hours on high or 5 to 6 hours on low. Stir and serve over warmed tortillas; top with tomatoes, lettuce, and a dollop of sour cream; garnish with cilantro.


This post is linked to:

1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

Your Tacos look awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great week.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen