Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Cherry Delight



If there was ever a holiday worth mentioning, my mother was always there to celebrate it, generally with an appropriate dinner and equally appropriate decorations. My mother did love a good party. Initially this cherry dessert was served on George Washington's Birthday (you know, considering the whole cherry tree thing and all), but it later became the accepted Valentine's Day dessert (often made in a heart-shaped pan) because of the lovely red color, the succulent cherries, and probably because two parties right in a row was a bit much to handle.

My mother will have been gone three years this Thursday. I hadn't thought about this dessert in a long time, but when I did, I had to make it. There are a lot of Cherry Delight recipes on the web, but mother's differed because of the inclusion of the chopped pecans, and light flavoring of the cherry pie filling. It is a lovely, tasty, seasonably romantic dessert that holds a lot of good memories for me. I'm heading out to take a couple of pieces to dad.
Cherry Delight

Crust:
10 rectangular graham crackers, finely crushed
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

First Layer:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Second Layer:
1 (12 ounce) can cherry pie filling
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of ground cinnamon

Mix together graham cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar, and butter in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined; press into an 8x8-inch pan.

Whisk cream cheese, whipped topping, and confectioners' sugar in a separate medium bowl until smooth; spread over graham cracker crust. Sprinkle nuts evenly over cream cheese mixture.

Pour cherry pie filling into yet a third medium bowl and stir in the extract and cinnamon. Pour this over the cream cheese layer.

Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.



8 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Good morning Pattie,
Oh my gosh first thing in the morning and look what I'm served, lol...I don't mind saying I would LOVE for you to drop a piece off to me too. I have the refreshments! The addition of pecans is just perfect.

Thank you so much for sharing...

Linda said...

This is very close to the recipe I've made - the pecans, the key ingredient of almond flavoring ,and that pinch of cinnamon really make it the best, IMO.

Marigene said...

Pattie, this post is perfectly timed, I was trying to think of something to make for dessert tonight...but I don't have cherry pie filling in the pantry (just looked!) so I will try it with blueberry filling. I just put cherry on my shopping list.
You have some of the best recipes I have tried!

La Table De Nana said...

I used to make a strawberry one:) You brought back memories.
We never forget great moms.

Unknown said...

Hi Pattie, What a lovely dessert! Reminds me of a pie my Mom used to make called Cherry-O Cream Cheese Pie. Condolences on the loss of your Mom - mine's been gone 10 years and it's still difficult at times. How nice of you to take some dessert to your Dad! Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Janet

jmac said...

Oh thank you for this!!! My babyboy's 30th birthday is on Valentines Day and he loves cherries. Was looking for something other than the cakey stuff. He is new dad too..one week ago...and this will make him feel special!

Miz Helen said...

Your Cherry Delight would be a wonderful Valentine delight Hope you have a very special Valentine Day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen!

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you enjoy your weekend and your new Red Plate!
Miz Helen