Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Scallops with Mushrooms and Asparagus


I bought more asparagus. What can I say? It's so fresh, and so delicious, and then there's Aldi with their beautiful, economical produce, and big bags of asparagus with delicate stems. Sigh. So, like it or not, you're going to be treated to more recipes that feature this versatile vegetable.

This recipe, adapted from one I found on
epicurious.com serves one (and that would be me), but can easily be doubled, tripled, etc. to serve a family.
 Scallops with Mushrooms and Asparagus

6 spears thin asparagus
4 large crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 large sea scallops, cleaned
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Trim asparagus, then cut stems into 1-1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices, leaving tips whole.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté asparagus, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate. Sauté mushrooms, adding a drizzle of oil, if needed, for 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Transfer mushrooms and garlic to the plate with the asparagus, reserving skillet off heat (do not clean).

Pat scallops dry and sprinkle with pepper and salt. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and heat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté turning over once, until browned and just cooked through, 3 minutes per side. Transfer scallops to a plate and keep warm.

Carefully add wine and vinegar to skillet and boil, scraping up brown bits, until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 1-3 minutes. Add any scallop juices accumulated on plate and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and whisk in butter.

Add reserved vegetables, and cook until heated through, 1-2 minutes.

Serve scallops topped with asparagus and sauce. To serve as a main dish, as I did, serve on top of thin spaghetti.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Looks mouth-watering Pattie! I've never cooked scallops but I've watched enough episodes of Hell's Kitchen to think that I could do it with ease. ;) Asparagus? Oh my - tender shoots from a wild patch in our yard provided at least 2 very special meals when I was growing up. Always a favorite with me. My taste buds have come a long way from the days of Mom (bless her heart) boiling them, and sauteing is my favorite method now.

thepaintedapron.com said...

I wish we were neighbors Pattie, we could happily dine together often! This is perfect!
Jenna

Marigene said...

Now that's a dish I certainly wouldn't mind eating! Aldi's does have some of the best fresh vegetables of any grocery...and the prices are fantastic. I bought a bag of asparagus...delicious!
I will be trying this recipe for sure.
Have a great week, Pattie.