Thursday, June 22, 2017

Devonshire Cream


I am a huge fan of clotted cream, and have been ever since I experienced my first cream tea in London back in 1997. It's expensive to buy in those little jars (and not all that easy to find), although I do, on occasion, treat myself to the original thing. I know that clotted cream can be made at home, but I've not had great success with that, so when I came across a recipe for Devonshire Cream I thought I'd give it a try. No, it is not clotted cream, but it is a nice substitute, and goes together in a flash. 

I experimented with a couple of different recipes, and I like this one the best, because it's not overly sweet. Authentic clotted cream isn't sweet at all, but Devonshire Cream is, so I like to keep that sweetness to a minimum by adding more cream cheese than sugar. You can experiment on your own, adding an additional tablespoon of sugar (or more), or even going so far as to adding a drop or two of flavoring like vanilla or almond just to change things up a bit. For me, this is the best recipe for Devonshire Cream around. It goes wonderfully well with yesterday's Cream Scones with Amaretto Cherries, so give it a try.
 Devonshire Cream

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Beat together cream cheese, sugar, and salt. Slowly stream in whipping cream, beating constantly, and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Chill for two hours before serving. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.

NOTE: I used my stand mixer with the whisk attachment to make this. I found it worked much better when streaming in
the cream. As you can see from the photos, the results were beautiful.


5 comments:

Alycia Nichols said...

Oh, my! How very fancy!!!!!!!! Had no idea cream cheese is in Devonshire cream.

Linda said...

As much as I am an Anglophile, I've never been able to imagine the taste/texture of clotted cream or Devonshire cream. The link for clotted cream describes it as a cross between ice cream and butter - I have trouble imagining that - lol! I know it must be good if an entire nation loves it.

Marigene said...

This sounds delicious, Pattie. You have the best recipes!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I had clotted cream on a cruise and it was DELICIOUS ! I'm not ready to make my own but will pin the recipe just in case..

Rebecca Knox said...

This looks simply delicious! The next time I have a tea I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing!