Saturday, July 1, 2017

Thai Chicken Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing


Today I tried Napa cabbage for the first time, and I am in love! It is a beautiful combination of cabbage, iceberg lettuce, and celery, all rolled into one. It washes and separates like lettuce, slices easily like cabbage, and has a wonderful light, rather than overbearing, cabbage/celery flavor.

As you all know, the deck project was finished last week, and it's a good thing because I am near collapse. Bear in mind, my carpenter, Joe Rogers, did all of the work, but those early hours proved to be way too much for me. As a consequence, I haven't felt a whole lot like cooking, stumbling around in my bleary-eyed haze, but a girl’s got to eat! This fresh, summery salad with spicy peanut dressing, was the result of, yet again, cleaning out what I had in the crisper in the fridge. It turned out to be absolutely delicious! I added some mandarin oranges and toffee almonds (both of which are main ingredients in a mandarin orange salad that my mother used to make back in the 70s). It proved to be a great combination, along with the cabbage, flavorful chicken, and colorful peppers. It came together in a flash, and I'm glad I made a lot of it, because I'm going to be wanting more. It's the perfect cool summer salad that eats like a meal.
Thai Chicken Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing

1 Melissa’s Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, grated
½ yellow pepper, cut into thin slices
½ red pepper, cut into thin slices
1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
3 green onions, thinly sliced
¼ cup minced cilantro
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
3 Tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted (I used Toffee Almonds, recipe coming!)

In a large bowl, combine above ingredients; toss with dressing. 

Garnish with the toasted almonds. Serve.

​Dressing

1 lime, juiced
3 Tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1-1/2 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
Combine ingredients in a small bowl, whisking until smooth. (I used my bullet blender.)
This post is linked to:




13 comments:

Cee Pluse said...

This sounds like my kind of summer salad. I think this will be the first meal I am going to make as soon as I get back home. Thanks for the recipe!

Linda said...

Goodness this looks good! I am putting Napa cabbage on my grocery list - never tried it either but your description makes me think I would love it. And you are a whiz with salad dressings!

Alycia Nichols said...

Yup! Yup! Sounds tasty! Beautifully presented, too!

Unknown said...

This looks amazing! Those colors...WOW! I am always looking for new ways to prepare chicken. Thank you!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I think I love anything with spicy peanut dressing, I use nappa frequently and like how easy it is to cut..

Unknown said...

YUM! So pretty and perfect for the summer. Pinned!

Sandra Lee said...

What a delicious recipe and your presentation is fantastic! Thanks for sharing with us at Celebrate Your Story and I hope your week is going well.

The Lazy Gastronome said...

Sounds delicious - Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner link up! And I love that salad plate!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Oh, goodness! This looks amazing! Thank you for sharing at Make it Pretty Monday! Happy weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Kathryn Griffin said...

This looks and sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the fan favorites at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2017/07/sunday-showcase-make-pretty-monday-8-14.html Hope to see you again tonight at Make it Pretty! Happy week to you! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Richella Parham said...

Oh, my goodness, Pattie--this looks delicious! I was just wishing for more cold recipes to use on these hot-hot-HOT days. This one will fit the bill very nicely! Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks so much for joining the Grace at Home party at Imparting Grace. I'm featuring you this week!

Miz Helen said...

I just pinned this awesome recipe and plan to make it for my daughter next week, she will love it! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and you have a great weekend!
Come Back Soon
Miz Helen

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your post is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Thanks so much for sharing with us and hope you have a great weekend!
Miz Helen