Thursday, July 20, 2017

Two-Ingredient Pizza Dough


If you've ever seen the episode of "I Love Lucy" where Lucy decides to make a big loaf of bread, and that loaf is so gigantic that it flattens her up against the opposite wall, then you have an idea as to the experience that I've had in the past when it comes to making my own pizza dough. I’ve tried different recipes, and all of them worked out pretty much the same, namely my dough raised so high as to become mountainous, causing my toppings to slide down the side like an avalanche. My oven was a mess.
When I saw the recipe for two-ingredient pizza dough requiring no yeast, I was intrigued. I had recently, conveniently, bought a bag of White Lily self-rising flour, always keep a big vat of plain Greek yogurt on hand, and figured what did I have to lose? (Other than the flour and yogurt, of course.)
So, last night during the ballgame I decided to whip up some pizza dough. It was almost too easy. I used a big mixing bowl, dumped the flour and yogurt in, stirred together with a wooden spoon until combined, emptied it onto a flour-dusted cutting board, and kneaded it for a little under eight minutes. I had a small square pan (11” x 11”) that fits perfectly into my toaster oven, so I lined it with foil, plopped in the dough, spread a little olive oil on top, and worked it all of the way into the corners.
The dough spread like a dream, but I was still leery as I had been fooled before. I sprinkled garlic powder onto the top (next time I'll be more liberal, and will also add it to the dough), and then I sprinkled it with cheese. I used a variety of cheeses because I was cleaning out the cheese bin in the fridge (read: cheddar, Parmesan, and mozzarella). I slid it into the oven, set the timer, and sat down to watch half an inning of baseball. When the timer went off I had the most beautiful looking cheese garlic bread imaginable!

Next time I make this dough I‘ll actually use it for pizza.
:-) 
Two-Ingredient Pizza Dough
  
1-1/2 cups self-rising flour, plus more for kneading
1 cup plain Greek yogurt

Mix flour and Greek yogurt together in a large mixing bowl until combined. Transfer to a work surface dusted with self-rising flour. Knead dough, adding more flour as needed to keep dough from being too sticky, for 7 to 10 minutes.

Spray a 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and spread dough to edges of pan. Add toppings and bake at 500°F until done. Because I was only using cheese, I baked mine at 450°F.
This post is linked to:

8 comments:

Stacey said...

Well now this is pretty smart and looks so delicious!

Unknown said...

I read about this in Food Network magazine and my son and I are both itching to try it! What a smart idea to make a cheesy garlic bread with it first, YUM! I will be making this asap, thanks Pattie!

Linda said...

Lol I remember that episode of Lucy. When I happen to catch an episode of Lucy I always stop to watch and laugh like I've never seen it before. ;)
Was the bread biscuit-y? It looks fantastic.

Katzcradul said...

You told us how it looked but I want to know how it tasted. Thanks.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Ok now my tummy is grumbling so loudly for pizza and/or cheesy garlic toast!! I have never made my own pizza dough, I cheat and buy the bags from the market and keep them in my freezer.

Angelina at Petite Haus said...

Yum looks delicious! I confess tonight's we had pizza and we just used a prepare dough from Trader Joe's... but you're right pizza dough can be fickle sometimes. Also loved the I Love Lucy reference, I love that show!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Linda it wasn't like a biscuit at all. It was like pizza dough. I could not believe it. It reminded of the hand-tossed style of pizza dough. Katzcradul it had the taste of pizza dough, which, without flavorful additions is, admittedly, a bit insipid. When I make it again I plan to add garlic powder. It is so easy that I plan on having fun experimenting.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

This sounds like a terrific recipe. Love the idea of the simplicity of just two ingredients.