Wednesday, December 18, 2019

A Dickens of a Table

Some tables please me more so than others, and this one really pleases me. I had no idea where I was going with this when I started putting it together, I just decided that I really liked the checked tablecloth and plaid placemats (barely visible here) that I used at Thanksgiving, and planned on putting both to use for Christmas, no matter what.
What makes this table particularly special is the Christmas goose centerpiece. My dad made that goose, and I painted it. My mother loved it, and kept it on display in her hutch all year. One year I asked dad if I could borrow it, and he just looked at me like I was crazy. Even after mother had passed away, it was not leaving its post.
With dad gone, it is now mine, and my first Christmas without him is not an easy one, so I am very pleased to have this simple, rustic piece at center, flanked on either side by Charles Dickens characters, Ebenezer Scrooge, and Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim.
The plaid placemats are from local shop Three French Hens. The greenery and red bell-lined placemats (for lack of a better word) are from Pier One last year. They are a bit cumbersome when it comes to actually dining, but I love these.
On top of these is a tin charger, giving it a bit of a rustic look, a versatile purchase from another local merchant, The White Rabbit. (You can find something similar here.)
The plaid dinner plates are similarly from Pier One, the red plates on top stating what we all know to be true, “It is the most wonderful time of the year,” are by 222 Fifth.
Red napkins with white polka dots are from Pottery Barn (similar napkins can be found here); the red flatware was my mother's.
The cranberry red stemware is new this year, an eBay acquisition, and part of the old Avon Cape Cod collection. I thought they were perfect for this table.



This post is linked to:

9 comments:

The JR said...

A very special addition to your table. BTW, I've been reading your blog for a very long time. I don't thing I've ever commented before.

Love all your recipes and decorating.

Happy holidays and have a blessed and safe Christmas and New Year.

Linda said...

I've been waiting for your holiday table! Oh that goose! It is beautiful, what a treasure.
I love the black and white with red. Are the little cranberries around the candles real or wood? When you serve dinner, do you remove plates after each course?
Love the table Pattie, thanks for sharing!

Gina said...

That's so beautiful and festive! It inspires me to think up a tablescape for my peeps. I love the Avon collectibles - they evoke my mother and grandmother, who both loved Avon. Whatcha' going to serve on that pretty table?

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Linda, they are real cranberries, but wood is a great idea. Wood wouldn’t shrivel after a while. ;-)

Thelma said...

I love your table, especially the goose. I like black and red together. It's nice that part of your Mom and Dad make up the table setting. Merry Christmas!

jmac said...

Oh so magical!! Perfect!

sandy said...

wow WOW gorgeous table setting and love the Charles Dickens statue. Sad to not have your father around for Christmas this year. Both of my parents are gone and have been for a long long time - lost my mom in my 30's...dad 20 years ago... I still wish they were around especially on holidays.

Kim said...

I love this table - its gorgeous. Love the plaid, the salad plates, and the chargers. Who would not want to sit at this beautiful table. Wow! Just stunning.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Linda, I'm not sure if I answered this or not, but yes, I do remove plates with each course. Prior to dessert, the chargers are then removed, and dessert is served on its own plate directly onto the placemat.