Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Winter in the Woods Tablescape

I was remiss in posting tablescapes last year, but I have a good reason for it...I didn’t do many. I have a good reason for that too; I’d decided to use the dining table as my worktable. It was centrally located in the house, comfortable, was ideally placed as to have both a great view of the TV and the outdoors. What can I tell you? That was that.

This year it will be different, and I’m not just saying that. You may remember little more than three years ago I had a rather pitiful deck removed from the back of the house and replaced with a large one that included a 10’ x 16’ open area and a 16’ x 16’ screened in area henceforth known as the lanai. You can read about that
here and here.

At the beginning of next week, the lanai will be transformed into a conservatory. OK, OK, it is actually a four-season room, but the word “Conservatory” sound so delightfully CLUE game to me, that I decided to embrace it. It is going to be my own special space, my Jungalow as it were. A pair of windows and a door in the bay in the dining area are going to be removed so that the traverse from the main part of the house into what I hope will be a tropical paradise will be an easy one. I plan to move my worktable out there, pile all of my favorite throws and bohemian pillows on the existing furniture, and fill it with plants. Frankly, Joe can’t work fast enough to get it done.

 

As a consequence, knowing this is coming, I have been enjoying my dining table and created my first tablescape of 2021 that I call “ Winter in the Woods.” I’m always hesitant to take down Christmas decorations that aren’t specifically Christmassy, and by this I mean greenery, pine trees, pine rope, candles, and other such items that can do double duty. When people say “Seasons Greetings” it should not refer to a holiday, it should refer to the entire winter season. With that in mind, I decided to make use of some plates normally considered Christmas-only because of the text, and intend to use into February.

The tablecloth is one you have seen me use again and again. I believe I got it from Decor Steals, and it is the most versatile tablecloth I own. It is topped with a nubby runner from Pottery Barn.

The pinecone plates, also from Pottery Barn, are among my favorites. They are on top of wooden chargers (that are actually trivets) that I found last year at Target. 

The salad plates that read “Seasons Greetings” and feature a moose/elk/reindeer, remind me of the quiet woods of Maine.

The green plaid napkins were my mother’s as were the solid green napkins. Honestly, I couldn’t figure out which ones I liked the best so I used both; pinecone napkin rings I bought a couple of years ago at Pier 1.

The pinecone flatware came from Cabela’s. Never underestimate the tableware cuteness they have at Cabela’s.

The elk salt and pepper shakers came from Ballard Designs three years ago.

I am a fan of having salt and pepper shakers at either end of the table, so chose this pinecone set as well.

 The brown stemware was my mother’s. 

 

The wooden tree candlesticks were made by my dad and painted by my mother, so very special.

 

The trees I picked up at a local shop. I love them so much.
 

The truck, this adorable truck, used to be in my mother’s “Northwoods” bedroom. Now that I look at this table I really should’ve covered it with a quilt that she used in that bedroom. I may just do that next time.

 

 The metal houses I’ve had for a while and honestly can’t remember where I got them. The little reindeer candle holders I’ve had for years.

My mother had a large collection of Wilton Armetale. The sugar and creamer set, and pitcher are both WA.

I may be dining alone these days, but it does my heart good to dine in such fine fashion. More tablescapes to come!

This post is linked to:

Tablescape Thursday

 

9 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Your tablescape is so perfect for the season. I love the pine needle/deer plates and your table cloth and place mats, and the pine tree candlestick holders that your Dad made.

I know you will enjoy your conservatory. You will be able to grow the most amazing tropical flowers and plants there and be able to be in the sun, even on cold winter days as long as the sun is out. You will also be able to enjoy moon viewing. I am looking forward to seeing how it looks when it is finished.

Angie's Recipes said...

So nice! The elk salt and pepper shakers are so darn adorable.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'm glad to hear you are bringing back tablescapes since I really always enjoyed that part of your blog.. Congratulations on your new beautiful space to work.I keep thinking about closing in my deck but that is about all I've done- think about it. Enjoy

Thelma said...

I love everything on your tablescape. I'm happy that you are bringing back your tablescapes. You have such a beautiful assortment of dishware.
I'm also happy to hear about your conservatory. How exciting.
What a great project for the upcoming year.

sandy said...

I love everything about that tablescape - wow, so cool. And reading about your conservatory...whatever the word is, lol...sounds great and can't wait to see all the photos. sure wish I lived close enough to stop by and look hungry and you invite me in to your new space and feed me lunch and dinner....and possibly breakfast lunch dinner the next day...lol

Joy B said...

I love your winter tablescape!

Linda said...

I'm very happy to see your tablescapes again! This one is so fun to look at and I totally agree about leaving out winter decor.
Is the lanai currently enclosed with screens or glass? If screens, will you have glass installed? Can't wait to see how fast Joe can work. ;(

Lady of the Manor said...

This is such a fun and cozy table for this time of year. I bet you had a lot of fun creating it! Lovely!

Marigene said...

Love this tablescape! It is perfect for this time of year, with the touches of forest green and wood slab chargers. One of my favorites...almost makes me want to start doing 'scapes again!
Happy New Year.