Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Macadamia Nut Bars

For the most part, I don’t consider myself a baker. I don’t particularly enjoy baking, and I tend not to do it all that often. One has to wonder, then, why I subscribe to Bake from Scratch magazine. Honestly, I couldn’t tell you. It’s just one of life’s puzzles. But when a new issue arrives, I do page through and place markers in amongst the pages to remind me of the recipes that I would like to try.

Over the weekend I actually did try one of the recipes (that I honestly find quite cumbersomely written) for a delicious looking nut bar. This recipe employed the use of honey. If you like honey, then use it; don’t divide it up, as I did, by using honey, and both light and dark Karo syrups. I find honey to be cloying, and despite its use in most of the pecan pie bar cookie recipes that I’ve seen, it doesn’t belong there. You will never find honey in a pecan pie. It’s just wrong! So, what you will find below is my version of their recipe. Because I didn’t need a huge pan of these, or have the desire to take out a home loan in order to buy the macadamias, I cut their recipe in half and baked it in an 8” x 8” pan. These little rascals are addicting!

Macadamia Nut Bars
Adapted from Bake from Scratch

Crust:
½ c. +1 T. unsalted butter, softened
¼ c. + 1 T. firmly packed light brown sugar
¼ t.
fine sea salt
1½ c. all-purpose flour

Topping:
½ c. unsalted butter, softened
½ c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/8 c. honey*
1/8 c.
light Karo syrup*
1/8 c.
dark Karo syrup*
1/8 c. granulated sugar
1/8 c. heavy whipping cream
½ t. fine sea salt
  c.
macadamia nuts
1 c. pecan halves
½ t. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray an 8” x 8” pan with PAM. Line pan with parchment paper leaving a 2-inch overhang on either end; set aside.

Beat together butter, sugar, and salt until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes. Slowly add flour and beat until the dough comes together and forms large clumps. Press into the bottom of prepared pan (a tart tamper works well for this). Using a fork, prick the dough all over.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes until edges are light brown. Let cool until it is warm to the touch.

Reduce oven temperature to 325° F.

Topping: In a large saucepan bring butter, brown sugar, honey, both syrups, granulated sugar, cream, and salt to a boil over high heat stirring constantly. Cook until an
instant read thermometer registers 243° F. Remove from heat and stir in macadamia nuts, pecans, and vanilla. Pour onto prepared crust.

Bake until topping is bubbly and nuts around edges are mahogany colored, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

Remove from pan, cut into bars. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week.

 *Get yourself a set of these.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


10 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Pecan and macadamia nuts are my favourites.

Gina said...

Oh my goodness those look fabulous! I would definitely have to freeze them so they didn't get eaten completely right away! I agree about honey - a little is always better than a lot. Its just so strong in flavor. Great on oatmeal, not as much in baked goods.

Marie Smith said...

This is a keeper recipe too. Thank you for sharing.

Linda said...

Those look very yummy, and I would use the honey because I love it. (My go-to and family favorite pecan pie recipe has a mix of honey and corn syrup as well as brown sugar, but I promise not to make you try a bite - lol!)
"Cumbersomely written" recipes are the bane of most modern day blogs (except yours!), IMO.
Do you remember when Karo made a brown sugar syrup? It was many years ago and I loved it, but I can't find it anymore.

Alycia Nichols said...

Yes!!!!! All those nuts!!! I am a nut for nuts, so this bar is right up my alley. I'm not a honey lover, so I'd likely divide it up like you did. Gotta do something with all these leftover macadamia nuts!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Oh boy, these sound dangerous!
Jenna

Tanza Erlambang said...

love nuts...
thank you for sharing your recipe

Thelma said...

Those bars look so good. I love all nuts and honey also. Thanks for sharing.

WeDishItUp said...

These look fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing .

Miz Helen said...

Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us on Full Plate Thursday 563, we featured it! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving and hope to see you soon!
Miz Helen