Friday, February 16, 2024

Bakery Style Double Chocolate Chip Muffin

  

Do you ever have one of those days when you’re really in the mood for chocolate cake, but you don’t want to trouble yourself to make chocolate cake? Yesterday that was me. Chocolate cake seemed like so much trouble because chocolate cake always begs for chocolate frosting, more specifically chocolate buttercream frosting, and I had neither the time nor inclination. As a consequence, I pulled out my file of chocolate recipes (Doesn’t everyone have a file of chocolate recipes?) and came upon this one. It sounded easy enough, it didn’t call for any special equipment, most importantly, I didn’t have to trouble myself to get out a stand or hand mixer.  I altered the recipe a tiny bit — in my opinion all chocolate recipes require espresso powder to really amp up that deep chocolate taste. I also like the slightly larger dark chocolate chips because, well, who doesn’t want more chocolate?

These are delicious! Be sure to make them using the tulip baking cups because that allows you to use a 12-well muffin tin, but get larger muffins. They’ll turn out perfectly, and look how pretty they are.

Bakery Style Double Chocolate Chip Muffin

Adapted from momlovesbaking.com

2 c. flour

1 c. sugar

½ t. salt

½ c. unsweetened cocoa powder

1 t. baking soda

1 t. espresso powder

 c. Nestle’s 53% cacao dark chocolate chips

2 large eggs, room temperature

¾ c. sour cream

½ c. vegetable oil

1 c. milk

1 t. pure vanilla extract

 Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a 12-count muffin pan with tulip style cupcake liners; set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda, and espresso powder until thoroughly combined. Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips; set aside.

 In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil, milk and vanilla until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir until combined. Do not overmix.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Use the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips to add a few on top of each muffin before baking. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F; reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes. Muffins taste best served fresh on the same day, but you can store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I will make these with the kids when they next sleep over. Yummy! Thank you for sharing.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Double Yum! looks delicious

Linda said...

This looks like a great recipe, love that there is oil and sour cream in it. You are the reason I purchased espresso powder, and you are right, it deeply enhances chocolate. The tulip papers are a great idea to make those muffins taller. Wish I had known about those when I used to make jumbo muffins for a coffee shop!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Wow, these look hard to resist! My grandboys would love them, thanks Pattie!
Jenna

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Linda, once I tried those tulip papers, I threw out all of my other cupcake papers. They are the best. They’re also easier to use because they automatically prevent you from spilling batter. Plus, they look so cute. Glad to know that you are using espresso powder in your chocolate recipes. Here’s another tip for you, it’s also good in beef recipes.

Donna said...

These look fabulous!!
hugs
Donna