Monday, February 19, 2024

Puréed Broccoli Soup

 

I don’t know what you did over the weekend, but for me, it was a weekend of wild discovery. One of the things I discovered was that I own a blender. Seriously, I did not know. I happened to be rummaging around in a kitchen cabinet that I tend to avoid due to its chaotic nature, and found a blender container. I wondered why I had this container with a strange lid until I realized that it goes with my mini ninja chopper (that I have had for about 15 years). What a surprise!

This discovery was quite fortuitous because I also became acquainted with the absolutely delightful Kevin Lee Jacobs and his YouTube channel by the same name. From there, I discovered that Gordon Ramsay wasn’t quite the jerk that I thought he was, and, finally, from there I discovered the pure deliciousness of broccoli purée soup (which is where the blender came in).

I was looking for a new way to prepare broccoli, and that’s how I found Kevin. Kevin made a broccoli purée that he made look wonderful, attributing his find to Gordon Ramsay. I knew that I had to give this a go because it seemed like the perfect starter for a St. Patrick’s Day meal. Once I found that I did indeed own a blender, the rest is history.

There really isn’t much of a recipe for the soup, although I’ll try to write one up below. I tend to always use a bit of nutmeg when I’m working with any type of cruciferous vegetable (or spinach), so I added some here, making this recipe my own. Essentially, you just cook broccoli, blend it up with a little of the cooking water, season it, and serve. What could be simpler than that?Puréed Broccoli Soup

1 large head broccoli
6-7 c. cold water
1 T. sea salt
4 gratings
fresh nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper

In a medium stock pot, add salt to water, and bring to a rolling boil. While water is heating, cut florets off of the head of broccoli, rinse well, and drain. Once water has reached a boil, put all of the broccoli in at once, and set a timer for four minutes. When the four minutes are up, drain the broccoli, but reserve 2 cups of the broccoli water. Place drained broccoli into a blender, add the nutmeg and a half cup of the broccoli water, and purée. Add more water, as needed, to reach the desired texture. That’s it!

You can top it with a swirl of heavy cream or a little dollop of sour cream (as I did) and a few gratings of cracked pepper. Gordon Ramsay serves his with a slice of goat cheese at the bottom, so I suppose you could do that as well. Personally, I thought it was perfect as is.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We love broccoli in any form. This looks yummy! Thank you.

Linda said...

I thought Gordon Ramsay was kind of a jerk from watching Hell's Kitchen. Then we watched Next Level Chef, and I love the guy. They are always making some kind of puree to smear across their plates or put under their creations. That is too funny about discovering your blender. :D

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'm not sure I understand this soup. Is it served at room temp? It looks pretty..

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Judee, you can really serve it any way that you like. I served it warm. I had plenty leftover, so the next day I heated it up again, and stirred in a tiny bit of heavy cream to make it a bit different. It was good both ways.

The Tote Trove said...

I love a weekend of wild discovery! Also, the bit about Gordon Ramsey caught my interest. The husband had been telling me that he isn't the blowhard he seems, which I didn't believe until he showed me some YouTube videos where he's, dare I say, mellow. Anyway, your soup looks gorgeous, a vibrant St. Paddy's day treat! 💚🥦