Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Pickled Watermelon Radishes

 
Watermelon radishes. What are they? Up until a couple of days ago, I would not have been able to answer that question. Today, I can. Watermelon radishes are an heirloom variety of Chinese daikon radish, getting their name from their bright, pink interior and green skin, rather than the taste. Some, I find, are deep fuchsia pink on the interior, others are pale green with pink striations. Either way, they are quite good, and far less harsh than what I’ve always known to be of standard radishes. They are members of the mustard family, and are firm, crunchy, and pleasantly mild.

These can be used on a charcuterie tray, a relish tray, in a Buddha bowl, or on top of salad. Wherever you use them, they are going to look lovely, and draw attention.

I chose to pickle mine, adapting a recipe that I found on loveandlemons.com. If you don't feel as though you are intrepid enough to try the watermelon radish, you can certainly feel free to use this pickling recipe with the common radish. Imagine how lovely these would be to take to your host or hostess when attending barbecues or picnics this summer.

Photo: Amazon

 Then again, maybe with planting season coming up, you’d just like to grow your own. You can find seeds here.

Pickled Watermelon Radishes

1 5-lb. pkg. Melissa’s Watermelon radishes

1 c. white vinegar

1 c. water

2½ T. sugar

1 T. sea salt

½ t. mixed peppercorns

½ t. mustard seeds

 Thinly slice the radishes (using a mandoline, if possible), and divide between 4 12-oz. jars.

Heat the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve, about 1 minute. Pour the brine over the radishes and stir in the peppercorns and mustard seeds. Let cool and chill until ready to use. Pickled radish slices will be ready to eat in about 1 hour, radish halves are best when pickled overnight.

 Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


4 comments:

Donna said...

Just can't quite stomach a radish...too strong a flavor.
hugs
Donna

Linda said...

I saw watermelon radish on Pinetree Garden Seeds and wondered about them. Hubs is the radish lover in the house, and I usually plant Cherry Belles for him. I'm going to try these next.

Gina said...

I like radishes - haven't had them in forever, and I don't think I have ever tried this variety. Lately, I've been hooked on kale salads and pickled beets. Weird, I know.

Marie Smith said...

I have never seen that type of radish. Just the small regular ones.