Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Herbed Chicken Casserole

 
This is a recipe that dates back to the 70s. I remember my mother making it, and, once my young self got past the worminess of the baked chow mein noodles, I loved it. I was recently missing those days, and those casseroles that I so enjoyed, so I decided to make it for myself. I added a bit more seasoning to it than the original called for, and because I had a box of Stove Top Stuffing (sacrilege!) on hand, used it instead of the called for Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix. It was wonderfully comforting. It’s easy to put together, can serve 6 to 8, and freezes quite well. If you’re missing the good old days (and with the current state of things, who isn’t?) give this recipe a try and reminisce.

Herbed Chicken Casserole

3 c. cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
½ c. chopped onion
1/3 c. chopped celery
1 8-oz. can
sliced water chestnuts
¼ c. + 2 T. milk
1 10.5-oz. can
cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 10.5-oz. can
chicken with rice soup, undiluted
1 c.
La Choy chow mein noodles
¼ t. Montreal chicken seasoning
1/8 t. freshly ground black pepper

1/3 c. butter, melted
¼ c. sliced almonds
1 c.
Stovetop Stuffing*

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8
x 8 casserole dish with PAM; set aside.

In a large bowl stir together chicken, celery, water chestnuts, milk, both soups, Chinese noodles, and seasonings. Turn out into prepared dish. In a small bowl mix together melted butter, sliced almonds, and dry stuffing mix. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Bake, uncovered, for one hour.

* I used “Savory Herb. You can also use Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

6 comments:

Donna said...

....sigh....I'm Never going to lose weight...ever again...am I...lolol
Omg...looks delicious and yes, I remember this recipe from the '70s...wonderful!
hugs
Donna

Linda said...

I think Stove Top makes everything better - lol! I've made something similar, but I love your addition of the chow mein noodles and water chestnuts. (Yes, the good ol' days are much desired with the crazy stuff going on.)

Gina said...

Gosh that looks like something I would rather eat tonight than what I have planned. I'm not a fan of Stovetop stuffing prepared just for a side, but as a crunchy topping its so good!

Marie Smith said...

This is a great family recipe though I think I’d make it just for me too.

thepaintedapron.com said...

I love recipes like this Pattie, chicken, creamed soup and stuffing and I'm a happy girl!
Jenna

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

My mom made a very similar recipe but she used tuna fish instead of chicken. Those chow main noodles were very popular in those days!