Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Summer Garden Pasta

 
To me, September is always bittersweet. I love that it is a harbinger of fall, and yet it also means the end of the garden that I labored over all summer long, as well as the fresh produce. Today I went out and picked what will no doubt be the last of the cherry tomatoes, and snipped off a few basil leaves to use in my supper. It was up near 100° again today, so I wanted something light.
 
Ina Garten’s summer garden pasta seemed just the thing. It’s very easy to make, particularly considering most of the ingredients are assembled four hours before use. When dinnertime rolls around, all you need do is to cook the pasta, toss everything together, and enjoy.  Summer Garden Pasta

4 pts. cherry tomatoes, halved

½ c. Good olive oil

2 T. minced garlic (6 cloves)

18 large basil leaves, julienned, plus extra for serving

   ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes

1 t. kosher salt

½ t. freshly ground black pepper

   1 lb. angel hair pasta

1½ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving 

Combine the cherry tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, basil leaves, red pepper flakes, salt, and the pepper in a large bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap, and set aside at room temperature for about 4 hours.

Just before you’re ready to serve, bring a large pot of water with a splash of olive oil and 2 tablespoons salt to a boil and add the pasta.  Cook al dente according to the directions on the package (be careful – it only takes 2 to 3 minutes!).  Drain the pasta well and add to the bowl with the cherry tomatoes.  Add the cheese and some extra fresh basil leaves and toss well.  Serve in big bowls with extra cheese on each serving.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We have been eating the cherry tomatoes out of the garden the last month. So good. This looks delicious!

Donna said...

That looks SO good! We love pasta!
hugs
Donna

Linda said...

That looks delicious Pattie! Looks like you had a nice haul on your cherry tomatoes. It is bittersweet, isn't it!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I had so many cherry tomatoes that I was giving them away. My 11-year-old granddaughter loves vegetables, her two favorites being cherry tomatoes and broccoli. I have had no luck whatsoever growing broccoli, but I have been giving her pints of cherry tomatoes every week. She is as disappointed as I am that they are finished for the year.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a simple wonderful recipe. Our weather has begun to cool off. It was in the high 70's this week and early mornings were in the 50's. It seems like summer is over- but experience has shown me that we usually get another heat spell at the end of September! Your cherry tomatoes looks fabulous