Thursday, September 17, 2026

Georgia Knockout Dip: Where Sweet Meets (Gentle) Heat

 
You reach a certain age, and you figure that you’ve heard it all when it comes to comestibles, particularly if you’re as dab a hand in the kitchen as I am. Then something like “tamed jalapeños” shows up and quietly proves you wrong. (Hands up if you’ve heard of these.)

 I first heard about tamed jalapeños while hunting for a new dip recipe. I was intrigued enough to buy a jar, and after one taste I was hooked.  These are real jalapeños with noticeably less heat, read: gentle enough that I can enjoy them straight from the jar without finding myself coughing and sputtering because my delicate system can’t handle a mere 4,000 Scoville units.  Nope, just bright, peppery flavor with a manageable kick. For someone with a delicate tolerance for spice, they’re a revelation.

 I’ve been tossing them into everything from sandwiches to quesadillas, but my favorite discovery so far is this recipe, which I’ve tweaked and made so much better. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory with just enough heat to keep things interesting. Best of all, it tastes even better when made ahead so the flavors can meld.

Georgia Knockout Dip 

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened

¼ c. sour cream

2 green onions, diced

¼ c. tamed jalapeños, drained and roughly chopped (plus extra for garnish)

¼ c. peach preserves

¼ t. onion salt

Pinch of garlic powder

Pinch of cayenne pepper

2–3 T. peach preserves, for topping (optional)

In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and sour cream together until smooth.

 Add the green onions, chopped tamed jalapeños, ¼ cup peach preserves, onion salt, garlic powder, and cayenne. Mix until well combined.

 Transfer to a serving dish. Spoon additional peach preserves on top if desired and garnish with extra jalapeños.

 Chill for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors meld.

 Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, or pretzels.

 This dip disappears fast at gatherings, and the combination of sweet peach with the tamed jalapeño heat is unexpectedly addictive. If you’ve been hesitant about spicy dips, this might be your entry point.

 Have you tried tamed jalapeños yet? Let me know in the comments what you think—or how you use them! 

As an Amazon associate I earn from qualified purchases.

No comments: