Wednesday, February 22, 2012

ABM Brioche


I love a good brioche loaf, but they are hard to find in the immediate area, so when I get a taste for one (and French Toast and Bread Pudding), I whip one up in my bread machine.  Yes, this is a bread machine recipe, and it’s easy, no fail, and absolutely delicious.  The recipe is from One Hundred Bread Machine Recipes by Vicki Smallwood, a must for anyone who takes their bread machine as seriously as I do.


ABM Brioche

Ingredients
1 pinch saffron threads
1 tablespoon water, boiling
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons honey
2/3 cup hot water (100°F-105°F)
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
3 ½ cups white bread flour
1 ½ teaspoons yeast

To Finish
1 eggs, beaten for brushing over

Directions

In a small bowl, soak the saffron threads in the 1 tablespoon of boiling water for 10 minutes.  In the meantime, place the beaten eggs, honey, hot water, and melted butter in a bowl. Mix well.  Add the saffron threads with the soaking water, stir and pour the mixture into the baking pan of your bread machine.  Mix the salt into the flour and add to the baking pan and spoon the yeast on top.  Set the program to 'DOUGH.'

When the dough is ready (mine takes 90 minutes), transfer it to a lightly floured surface and knead it for 2-3 minutes. (The dough will feel quite soft and silky.).  Shape the dough into a loaf, place into a greased loaf pan, brush with oil, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.  Preheat the oven to 425°F.  When the dough has nearly doubled in size, remove the plastic wrap and lightly brush the top of the loaf with the beaten egg.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Transfer the loaf to a wire rack and leave it to cool before serving.


 This post is linked to:


3 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Thats it! I need to get myself a Bread Machine! I've been getting my home made bread from Katie these days and to be perfectly honest, Pattie, I can't keep taking it from her especially since she doesn't want anything in return.

Your Brioche looks heavenly. Do you mind me asking what kind of Bread machine you have?

Thank you so much for sharing...

Kitchen Riffs said...

Nice recipe. I particularly like the inclusion of saffron - lovely touch. So far I've resisted the siren call of the bread machine (I have too much kitchen stuff). I assume them bread machine is easier? I used to have an extrusion pasta machine (big mistake) and clean-up was awful - how is it with the bread machine? Anyway, nice recipe, great pictures - thanks.

~~louise~~ said...

Thanks for that Sunbeam info Pattie. I was telling Katie I was looking for a bread machine and she just laughed. I guess being she is Amish it sounds rather silly to her. She bakes bread and assorted bakery items everyday by hand. I told her she could come bake at my house any ol time she feels like it. (I will continue my search:)